California - Northern

I'm in Sonoma County, near Petaluma (the former "Egg Basket of the World" but now home to a dwindling number of abandoned henhouses) in a very rural area surrounded by vineyards.

There's a small organic chicken farm down the road, and my great-grandparents used to have all their own livestock. Unfortunately the chickenhouses fell into disrepair and had to be torn down, but now I'm starting up the chickens again with a new coop!

I got my six chicks (2 RIR, 2 NHR, 2 Cuckoo Maran) from Western Farm Supply in Santa Rosa on the 10th, and I think they said they had got the chicks from Belt Hatchery, but I'm not sure. I also got some organic chick starter there, which they seem to like. The staff were very helpful and polite as well.

Anyone have any feed store recommendations for Sonoma County or the greater Bay Area? Or any sources for chicks and hens?

I found a great feed store in Hayward (might be a bit out of the way from Petaluma) Close Feed and Supply - 727 Industrial Pkwy #L. (Very close to 92 and 880). They had a huge selection of chicks too - I don't know how I managed to get out of there with only 2 Araucanas.
wink.png

Last edited:
California is really three regions: Logland, fogland, and smogland. I'm in Logland - Coastal Humboldt County to be exact.

If you want to draw more lines...There is the State of Jefferson. This is made up of the real northern California and southern Oregon. It is really a 'state of mind' - a lot of us are kind'a earthy, crunchy, and strive for more self-sufficiency.

Tootles-

Ruby

They just had a much better selection of chicks then anywhere else around here. I got my first 3 (2 Rhode Islands and a Golden Lace Wyandotte) at Half Moon Bay Feed&Fuel but they usually sell out pretty quickly and it can get frustrating if you are waiting for a batch of new chicks to come in.

I also didn't want to buy a run of 25 from McMurray -so I was really happy to go over there and have such a huge selection of breeds. Good prices on the feed and other items too. If you are headed down there - here is their # 510 581-6811. It was an overload of cuteness when I was there - they must have had over 100 week-old chicks.

I now have 2 Rhode Islands - had to give my gorgeous Rooster away(the GL) - 3 New Hampshires and 2 Araucanas. In the process of building a coop right now
smile.png

Last edited:
Alamo feed has ducklings? That may be worth a visit. Concord feed is suppose to have ducklings soon so we'll have to compare.

Walmart having good prices on feed? Layer pellets? I never ever would have guessed that! Maybe I should check out our Walmart up here and see what they have available.

Just to make sure I'm comparing apples to apples, what's a good price for 50 lb. bag of layer pellets around here?

Went to Concord Feed today. Lots of bantam chicks and then a bunch of RIR & Americana (I think). They put a schedule on the wall so you know what is coming when.

They have ducks coming in a week and turkeys and gosslings in a few weeks. I never would have thought that so many people in such an urban area would be getting enough poultry to keep this place so busy with so many babies. I wish all those people were on BYC and on the forum!

Back
Top Bottom