California - Northern

Chickens eat everything! Mine ate broke plates. It is amazing that they make it in the wild sometimes.

I try to make sure there is nothing bad out in the yard. I can't imagine what they ate last year when the outside of the house was painted!

Well I am learning that now! LOL Our pasture is fairly clean, we did turn over 2 large piles of fill dirt a few months ago so perhaps they found it in there. I am glad it had no negative effects on the bird. I can't imagine that eating glass would be comfortable to digest
ep.gif

Quote:

Good Evening;

Most of you have probably gone to bed for the night getting ready for work tomorrow. But I wanted to ask a couple of questions on what I was seeing when I candled my eggs tonight.

This one has what I would guess others have called a "blood ring", but I have no idea what that means, but I also see some light veining in the yolk above it....... Comments? Throw it away? Is it okay?

I'd leave them all in unless they start to smell. The one does look like a bloodring, but if you still see veining, I'd leave it. The ones developing on their sides, I'd let them continue developing that waay.

Quote:
I'd contact your local UCCE office. They can put you in touch with the local rabbit leader. Kids will have meat rabbits.

Has anyone ever had a chicken eat glass? I was cleaning off the side of the goat stalls just now and I found a pile off poop with a bunch of broken glass in it. I'm not even sure where they found the glass. It looks like tempered auto glass which I know we haven't broken any.

Haven't lost any birds in a few months so I really am a little shocked that they passed it.
You have to be careful with sharp bits, glass, metal, etc. It will get caught in their gizzard and cause problems. I have found tiny bits of glass when processing birds. Much like me, they like shiny stuff, LOL

Mareks is everywhere. It is a race to get them inoculated before they get it just from the air. Wild birds have it too. Oxine might help though.

The best thing to do is get resistant breeds of get the birds from breeders that have been breeding for resistance. Culling and or not breeding the ones that show symptoms and live is what needs to happen.

One thing you can do is take the ones that are suffering to one of the UCD labs. They will euthanize the chick\chicken and send you a Necropsy report. Often that is the most humane thing to do for a suffering bird that will not eat or drink.

hit.gif
It is very sad but it is one of the things that happens with animals and pets.
I had planned on taking my sick cockerel to Davis or Turlock early this week but I couldn't let him suffer any longer. He just looked at me and I knew that it was time. I'm 99.9% sure that it was Merek's. I have been struggling with the whole question of do I vaccinate the chicks that I hatch or not. I've already lost one that was vaccinated so I'm not completely convinced that it is worth it to vaccinate. As hard as it is to lose birds to this horrible disease, I think that breeding for resistance is a better choice for my flock. I just need to be stronger and cull when any of my breeding stock shows symptoms. Easier said than done.
sad.png

Quote: The ones that get sick from mareks will still get sick if vaccinated. The vaccine does not stop them from getting sick and all of your chickens have had it. The vaccine just protects them, by 2%, form getting cancer at 2 years old. The stats are: without the vaccine, 5% die from cancer. With the Vaccine, 3% die from cancer. If you have enough chickens, you are going to have some die from cancer at 2 years old. Hybrids are very prone to this too. I had one Golden comet die from the cancer. None from the initial sickness yet.

This is the sad part of raising chickens but they still have a better life for two years than in a commercial egg Farm....

Last edited:
Quote: I second that one. Sherri in Lincoln has some beautiful birds. When I recover from buying Feathersprings pair and fixing my incubator I will be contacting her to see if she has any Partridge Pullets.
Quote: I have found once I move a broody with one chick and her eggs she will sit on the other eggs until they hatch (as long as they don't take over 4 days). If you put food and water nearby she will stay longer because the chicks won't go off and leave her and then call her when they are lost. Most of the problems I have seen with broodies abandoning nests happen when the chicks get lost and the mommy goes and gets them and the chicks won't or can't get back in the nest with her. If you have a nest with an area for food and water and can be closed off it sounds like it will work perfectly. The hen will not leave the nest until the eggs that are close to hatch will hatch.

I agree, usually after the chicks have been with a mommy for about a week they respond to her voice and don't get confused by another wanna-be stealer calling them.

If I have massive broodies again I will try the removing mommies and babies and segregating them trick. Dog crates work good for about a week - just long enough for the stealers to give up and the babies to bond. However the stealers will sometimes abandon the eggs they were sitting on while trying to steal the other ones - so you could still loose some chicks to that.

I think one of my mother's OEG is like Sparkles - however she also is a terrible mommy so that makes it doubly hard. She will steal them, keep them for about two weeks, then abandon them.... My mother usually ends up brooding them in a cardboard box with a lightbulb until they are old enough to be on their own...

Plan management now - that way when whatever happens happens you will be ready...

Hope everyone has a great day. I'm off to the Imaging Center to get another MRI on the brain.. Wish me luck :)
I wonder while looking at my brain if they can tell I'm chicken crazy :) I hope not, because I'm sure I'm Certifiable... Just Say'in!

Well..... Miss Molly and I have mentioned maybe doing a meet-up at her place and doing a chicken photography workshop possibly.... Completely in the mental dreaming phase though.
smile.png

I would come to a workshop. I would love to learn how to use my camera settings. I use the cheater dial on automatic and it does not always take good shots.

We had 3 does kid this year. 3/23, 4/9 and 4/14. Triplets, Triplets and Quads!

And today! Quads! 2 bucklings, 2 doelings. ...

3 very smooth kiddings and 10 very healthy kids!

Wow, congrats! It must be a good year for multiples. My sheep had quads & triplets.

Thanks
hugs.gif
... I just looked at some youtube videos of Marek's & she's doing the same thing
hit.gif
.... I guess I'll just keep her comfortable as possible.

I'm so sorry.

Has anyone ever had a chicken eat glass? I was cleaning off the side of the goat stalls just now and I found a pile off poop with a bunch of broken glass in it.

Not glass, but I found some with bits of plastic insulators recently. All chickens are fine. Some that I sold died from eating Styrofoam, last year.

[quote name="ChickNmamma" url="/t/25/california-northern/20460#post_1094680
I think one of my mother's OEG is like Sparkles - however she also is a terrible mommy so that makes it doubly hard.  She will steal them, keep them for about two weeks, then abandon them....  My mother usually ends up brooding them in a cardboard box with a lightbulb until they are old enough to be on their own...

Plan management now - that way when whatever happens happens you will be ready...
[/quote]
Omg that is evil. I have one hen that gets Board with chicks early. She will jump up where they can't get to and wonders why they are still peeping.

Hope everyone has a great day. I'm off to the Imaging Center to get another MRI on the brain.. Wish me luck :)
I wonder while looking at my brain if they can tell I'm chicken crazy :) I hope not, because I'm sure I'm Certifiable... Just Say'in!

Good luck miss molly!

If I could draw I would make that into a far side cartoon.

The MRI roomi n the background. 2 people looking at a monitor and. Brain with a little hatching egg shape.

The one dr is saying to the other 'thats it. She's chicken crazy'

I hope that cheers you up today.
< love>

Hope everyone has a great day. I'm off to the Imaging Center to get another MRI on the brain.. Wish me luck
smile.png

I wonder while looking at my brain if they can tell I'm chicken crazy
smile.png
I hope not, because I'm sure I'm Certifiable... Just Say'in!
fl.gif
I am praying for you!

There is a type of MRI that is more sensitive and can show brain activity whey you look at images. I bet they would see a lot of activity if they showed me pictures of baby chicks or chickens......

Back
Top Bottom