California - Northern

My bator doesn't come with a temp gauge - I have them separately that I use. Could it be a bad wafer? I have all the holes that could be unplugged- unplugged.
Well now I sound like Chiquita..... I've got nothing.... I don't know but I suppose it could be. If they had a bad batch supposedly with the Genesis 1588 then they could with others too. Maybe some of the seasoned incubating pros will have an idea.

My Hovabator is giving me fits. It keeps getting hotter and hotter. I am unable to turn it down anymore. It spiked at 105- I fell out of bed racing towards it this morning. I about died. I was getting 102 spikes and having to actually crack the lid to cool it. But what happens in lockdown? I candled and everyone is ok. Even my goose egg was still showing movement. I honestly have no idea what to do at this point. Hatchdates start this Monday.

Mine does that with major weather changes. We've cooled off significantly today, so you have to watch it more closely. Just open the bator and let the heat come out and watch it and get it stabilized. Once we heat back up, you'll have to watch it again.

Quote: Well I haven't had it happen to me, but the instructions on the wafers say if they malfunction they will not turn off so it very well could be a broken wafer.

The wafers have gas inside them that expands and pushes it against the switch. If they get a leak they let the gas out, the wafer doesn't expand and it doesn't turn off the switch. Usually the leak is right at a seam - not always easy to spot - but easy to see when they aren't working
hmm.png

The wafers aren't expensive, I have been told if you use them to replace them - I think its every two years? Anyway - its also easy to replace - just not in the middle of a hatch! Once you replace them you need to re-adjust them for the temperatures.. yuck.

Is there anybody close buy you could borrow a wafer from to finish up the hatch? I took my wafers out of the Sportsman (2, one as a backup) - but I don't think I am very close.. and I know I broke one so I have just the one.

I also have a Digital Temperature Controller (WH7016C). I bought two, one is in the Sportsman right now. It can be used for the little incubators too and turns them into an electronic incubator. I paid I think 14 for it - if I get that back I would be happy. Let me know if you want to use it. It only allows full degree C adjustments though, I have been keeping mine at 38C and its been running between 99 and 100.

Quote:
Deb - I would not want to pay your feed bill OR your electricity bill!
th.gif
Holy smokes!
the light bulbs are not cheap either
Home Depot, i think -- it's called SunTuf or something like that, corrugated poly-carbonate panels. has worked great as roofing for my coop:

yes it works great
That looks great! I haven't see the solid white stuff, but I will look again.

My house is around 73-78 most days. Maybe I will try putting it in the garage where it is warmer. I just tend to forget about things if I can't see them. The old out of sight out of mind thing! That pretty much explains why my house looks the way it does.
I like the red stuff. It all works good though
Mine does that with major weather changes. We've cooled off significantly today, so you have to watch it more closely. Just open the bator and let the heat come out and watch it and get it stabilized. Once we heat back up, you'll have to watch it again.
mine too..

I helped a Silver hatch this morning. It is still laying on its side in the bator breathing just not much movement. it will roles around but has not balance . I will give it till bed time then put it down. I have 5 healthy silvers though. I think my bator has messed the hatch up again though

arghhh. It was working so good last year. I even changed the wafer and no help.

I do not know if I even trust it as a hatcher if I buy a new one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Chooks

Quote:
Deb - I would not want to pay your feed bill OR your electricity bill!
th.gif
Holy smokes!
the light bulbs are not cheap either
I helped a Silver hatch this morning. It is still laying on its side in the bator breathing just not much movement. it will roles around but has not balance . I will give it till bed time then put it down. I have 5 healthy silvers though. I think my bator has messed the hatch up again though

arghhh. It was working so good last year. I even changed the wafer and no help.

I do not know if I even trust it as a hatcher if I buy a new one

Jason, don't put it down without trying some Poly-vi-Sol (no iron). I've had chicks that couldn't get up on their feet and after treating with the vitamin for 1-2 days, you couldn't tell them from anyone else. A drop on the edge of the beak (let them draw it in), twice per day for about 4 days has cured quite a few fragile chicks for me. After you see them drink the vitamin, dip their beak in water to give them a water chaser.

It truly works wonders.

I'd use the ceramic reptile heat bulbs, but then I'd really have to take out a bank loan.

Jason, don't put it down without trying some Poly-vi-Sol (no iron). I've had chicks that couldn't get up on their feet and after treating with the vitamin for 1-2 days, you couldn't tell them from anyone else. A drop on the edge of the beak (let them draw it in), twice per day for about 4 days has cured quite a few fragile chicks for me. After you see them drink the vitamin, dip their beak in water to give them a water chaser.

It truly works wonders.
where do you get that at? I can not get to a feed store till tomorrow evening.

where do you get that at? I can not get to a feed store till tomorrow evening.
I got some at the Kaiser pharmacy last night. It's just liquid baby vitamins, without iron. I hope your little chick feels better, I had one today that had a hard time hatching, and I had to help a little bit. I was really worried at first because she was so floppy and weak. I gave her some vitamins, and put her in the brooder. She took a nap, and is doing much better now.

Back
Top Bottom