California - Northern

Hi all! We've been having health issues over here and this is the first time I've been on in a week! How is everyone? There's over 400 posts to read from the last week. I'm going to try to catch up on all of them before school starts again on Monday. My break just flew by!

The chicks are almost 4 weeks old now. We definitely have 4 basque boys and 7 basque girls! The Pita Pintas we're not too sure about. I think we have 5 boys and 5 girls. Eek! I took some pictures of them today. Their feathers are coming in like crazy!
e4enyde3.jpg

uha9apun.jpg

sa9yta4u.jpg

7utupuge.jpg

I hope everyone is well!

Laura - did you ever find that missing chick?? It's been bugging me all week!
Very pretty, all the chicks. It's pretty when they get their first feathers in. Sorry you have be sick.

Went out to cheer myself up and snapped some crappy photos.

My pudgy jubilees ( miss molly said she would have a roo for me in a bit!!) inspecting my newly planted grass.. if the 1 week old chicks can get in there we can too, right??

Ugly boy who has now decided he lives in my courtyard and is the proctor of all things baby. I missed a photo of him squiring all the outside silkie chicks ( one mother stole them all, the rest have retired and are letting jojo deal) so Josephine could take a nap. here he is telling them to hide from me. Id say he is a smart chicken who knows ways of avoiding being dinner! Anyone need a flock proctector?

Just weeks ago that was all ivy.
Pancake, big boy, pretty boy, blue boy, leif, ebony and " I should show her " ( no official name yet, but perfect s body type splash) The stairs leading down to silkie shed are now the silkie lounge. Im taking cement trays with greens down there next week so they have more to snack on.

Stuffing has decide to lay her eggs in the hollow bowl of an oak tree behind silkie shed coop. problem is, she does not know how to get back OVER the fence. No trouble getting there, but back??

said eggs.

Pumpkins, her breese and RP turkey baby, and proud pappa cranberries, ready to impregnate them all again at a moments notice.

On a brighter note, my wry neck has her head out and is eating on her won. The vitamin b might have been enough since we caught it so fast!

Hi all! We've been having health issues over here and this is the first time I've been on in a week! How is everyone? There's over 400 posts to read from the last week. I'm going to try to catch up on all of them before school starts again on Monday. My break just flew by!

The chicks are almost 4 weeks old now. We definitely have 4 basque boys and 7 basque girls! The Pita Pintas we're not too sure about. I think we have 5 boys and 5 girls. Eek! I took some pictures of them today. Their feathers are coming in like crazy!
e4enyde3.jpg

uha9apun.jpg

sa9yta4u.jpg

7utupuge.jpg

I hope everyone is well!

hi Megan, and your chicks look fabulous! i've been down with a hideous cold myself, and had to finish all my semester's grading over the past two days -- pretty wrung out at this point but it's all done. if i can only stop coughing!

but yes, found the missing chick -- it was dead & then had gotten buried in their deep litter floor of the coop, eventually turned back up. the two that were injured didn't make it either, and two others from that hatch, the bresse and the icelandic/showgirl cross, just didn't seem to be growing as quickly as their counterparts, and were somewhat listless, always wanting to just stand still in the sunshine & close their little eyes when their mom was trying to show them how to scratch for bugs etc -- and this morning i found both of them dead, too. if my own health had been better i'd have gotten baby vitamins sooner & tried that -- but neither was very strong, and they just didn't make it.

so, some sadness -- only one of the eggs i got from Chiqita that hatched has survived, the lone icelandic/cream legbar cross that Speedy is looking after -- she's quite devoted to that chick, and it seems quite healthy. Speedy and Eleanor still have it in for each other, though, and fight at every possible opportunity -- Speedy & her chick are still living in an enclosure as a result, and I may end up giving them to a friend. I can't understand it, as Speedy and Eleanor grew up together as chicks -- but they seem to absolutely loathe each other now.

and the three araucana chicks are doing *great*, as are the six (Cls, isbars, and isbar/marans crosses) that hatched from miss Molly/Deann's eggs -- and Eleanor's two nearly-four-week-olds -- and the 5th broody is still sitting, her eggs (SFH and birchen marans) should hatch sometime late next week.

my first hatching experience! too much drama, but it's slowly working out, and the chicks are delightful.

well, crap. i have a young silkie that due to some unusual circumstances i was having to integrate into the flock by herself. she has been hiding in the feeders and i was leaving her mostly separated but i think one of my boys tried to mate with her and pecked her in the head. i came home to find her this afternoon with sever wryneck. head completely under her chest. still clear eyed moving and making noise and can eat on her own. i fed her, and gave her vitamin B's. Mario is coming home with E's and Prednisone but i have to give her stuff 4x a day. it looks lie I'm taking a chicken on holiday Saturday....
I was reading up on wry neck a few weeks ago because I was trying to understand what it was, how to treat it etc. but I couldn't understand how getting pecked in the head causes it? Do you understand that part?

Am I crazy?! 2 full incubators lol
I WISH I could be incubating that many eggs!!! I want to see pictures when they hatch!

<<
Here is a picture of one of my splash (no color in the tail and wings because she is a splash) wheaten Ameraucana hens and a wheaten Ameraucana rooster:

So Beautiful!!!

Quote: I have no idea what you are talking about here, its like a foreign language!!! Gah! I have to read each sentence soooo slooooowwwllllyyyyyy and even then get frustrated. Is there some chart that shows what each color looks like? I think that would help me visualize all these types.

<<

Ugly boy who has now decided he lives in my courtyard and is the proctor of all things baby. I missed a photo of him squiring all the outside silkie chicks ( one mother stole them all, the rest have retired and are letting jojo deal) so Josephine could take a nap. here he is telling them to hide from me. Id say he is a smart chicken who knows ways of avoiding being dinner! Anyone need a flock proctector?
I'm glad your hurt pullet is better. And I'm in LOVE with Ugly Boy!!!
love.gif
If only I could have roosters...
rant.gif

e4enyde3.jpg

I hope everyone is well!

Those are the longest chicken legs I have ever seen!! :lol:

Your birds look lovely. The thread seems to have been a little quiet the last couple of days. I think everyone is super busy. I know I am. End of school year stuff etc.

Your chicks are one week ahead of mine and seem so much bigger. What do you have them on? Cement?

Back
Top Bottom