California - Northern

i mostly give mine kale, sometimes other greens as well (beet or radish tops, lettuce, etc) -- and they have similarly learned to stand on the kale leaf & rip off a bite-sized piece. although if i have time i'll usually stand there with the greens held tightly in my hand while they peck at them, just to make it easy at first.

i once gave them a head of green cabbage, and the outer leaves were too tough for them to get through! but they were still teenagers then, i should try it again.

Yes, they get better at ripping up things when the get older.

It is almost time for Pumpkins. I cut a hole in the side of the pumpkin and they will eat the inside of the pumpkin from the hole. Very cool to see.

Laura, I am very excited that you are hatching Duckwing Marans. I can't wait to see them.
fl.gif

I'm so excited! I'm getting chickens next summer or spring. I'm going to repaint my room, then start on building my veggie patch and chicken run.

Any of you guys stud roosters?

Yes, they get better at ripping up things when the get older.

It is almost time for Pumpkins. I cut a hole in the side of the pumpkin and they will eat the inside of the pumpkin from the hole. Very cool to see.

Laura, I am very excited that you are hatching Duckwing Marans. I can't wait to see them.
fl.gif

so am i! a few of the eggs are much smoother than the rest, with a satiny finish, and i'm thinking those are probably the duckwings -- just keep those fingers crossed that my hatch rate this time is better than with the campines!

and love the pumpkin idea -- will have to try that.

Back
Top Bottom