California - Northern

I'm having fun with the silkie/sizzle/cochin mystery mix from Papa Brooder (Jeff).

Here's a neat looking one - I'm guessing barred/cuckoo smooth silkie(?):

And then I have a black&white barred/cuckoo sizzle:

It started out with just white tips on all the feathers.

And 2 gray/white barred/cuckoo sizzles:

These were slow to show their barring - just noticed it recently.
Unfortunately, the pictures don't really do their barring justice.

Also, I got the curliest white frizzle cochin:

They are so fun.

Cute, and looks like you got a nice variety!
I keep checking for scalping in thegrow out pen. I have the group your 2 Goldens came from that are reasy to go into that pen, but I don;t know how they would be if I put them in with the older ones. There is 2 1/2 weeks between batches but it might be a critical age. I might move the older ones to the pen on the ground and put these in the raised pen. Any I don;t keep for breeding will be freezer birds. They say you can process at 8 weeks but I have found they give a lot more meat if they have another 3-4 weeks on them.

So...does this mean enterococcus and E. coli?

I got my first Olive Eggs yesterday! Not quite as olive as I had hoped, but definitley more so than the Ameraucana girls. I have 2 that could have laid it but not sure which one.

Blue green on the left, olive in the middle, blue on the right. Not great lighting.
I'm still keeping the Goldens separate for now. They're definitely growing well, but there is still quite a size difference between them and the other birds. One A&M in particular seems to have a mind to be a big, big quail. I have the A&Ms and browns separated too, just because I put them in smaller pens that are a good size for probably 5 quail, but might be cramped for 8. I was going to ask you, if I am keeping a pair of browns for breeding, should I keep the theoretically stronger but more aggressive scalper, or the theoretically less aggressive but wimpier scalpee?

My husband heard one of the quail crow today. He asked "is it SUPPOSED to make that noise? It sounds like an alien ray gun." He is now a fan of Coturnix.

What I took from the reports was that they did find E. Coli and E. fecaelis, and it was likely to blame for a sort of yolk sac infection. I'm planning to call him on Monday to try to get some clarification on some things.

Pretty eggs! The olive one almost looks like it has a slight metallic cast.

Last edited:
I keep the biggest one (which seems to end up being the scalper I'm still keeping the Goldens separate for now. They're definitely growing well, but there is still quite a size difference between them and the other birds. One A&M in particular seems to have a mind to be a big, big quail. I have the A&Ms and browns separated too, just because I put them in smaller pens that are a good size for probably 5 quail, but might be cramped for 8. I was going to ask you, if I am keeping a pair of browns for breeding, should I keep the theoretically stronger but more aggressive scalper, or the theoretically less aggressive but wimpier scalpee?

My husband heard one of the quail crow today. He asked "is it SUPPOSED to make that noise? It sounds like an alien ray gun." He is now a fan of Coturnix.

What I took from the reports was that they did find E. Coli and E. fecaelis, and it was likely to blame for a sort of yolk sac infection. I'm planning to call him on Monday to try to get some clarification on some things.

Pretty eggs! The olive one almost looks like it has a slight metallic cast.
I keep the biggest ones (which seems to end up being the scalpers) because I want the genetics for size. None of mine has been agressive to people at all so I am not worried about that. But I want big birds for eating.

They do have a very funny crow. I had no idea what that sound was when I heard the first one. It is relativey quiet compared to a chicken tooster and between that and the sound, I don't have to worry about the neighbors complaining. I'n sure they would have no idea what was making it. We have wild turkeys around here so they might think it was them.

I think what confuses me on the necropsy reults is the use the "#" symbol and expect to see a number after it. I thought when I first saw mine that it meant they did not find any since there was no number after it.

I think the middle egg just looks shiny because it was damp from wiping it. It doesn't look metallic in person. That would be cool if it did!

The Pita Pinta cockerels are getting nice and big. They are very friendly too.

They follow you around like they are dogs.

I keep the biggest ones (which seems to end up being the scalpers) because I want the genetics for size. None of mine has been agressive to people at all so I am not worried about that. But I want big birds for eating.

They do have a very funny crow. I had no idea what that sound was when I heard the first one. It is relativey quiet compared to a chicken tooster and between that and the sound, I don't have to worry about the neighbors complaining. I'n sure they would have no idea what was making it. We have wild turkeys around here so they might think it was them.

I think what confuses me on the necropsy reults is the use the "#" symbol and expect to see a number after it. I thought when I first saw mine that it meant they did not find any since there was no number after it.

I think the middle egg just looks shiny because it was damp from wiping it. It doesn't look metallic in person. That would be cool if it did!
Ok, I did leave the scalper in with the females, and he hasn't seemed to be aggressive to them so far.

For the # symbol, I took it to mean sm# means they found a small number (infection just starting to spread there, maybe?), lg# means a large number (so, heavily infected). There was no number written after it, though.For the chick that didn't have either it says "no growth after 48 hours" in the spot, and for the salmonella tests on both it says "not detected". So I think they would say one of those things if the results were negative. I think. Maybe something else to ask him Monday.

Last edited:
I was coming home from errands this morning, and saw a sign for our community garden plant sale and tour.  So I went by and visited all the garden beds and heard about the bees and talked to them about their chickens.  They are thinking of getting some more chickens, so I sent them over here to find a local breeder.  :)

I was at Ploughshares in Alameda this morning and they're getting chickens, too! They have an adorable coop that a local boy scout troup built for them. Those are going to be some lucky free range birds!

Last edited:
The Pita Pinta cockerels are getting nice and big. They are very friendly too.

They follow you around like they are dogs.
Can;t wait to hatch some! They seem to keep more of the white than the mottled Ameraucana.

Quote: I finally figured that out. I wish they would just have a section that says "Cause of Death : Coccidiosis" or what ever it was that killed them.

Quote: I need some Boy Scouts to build me a bigger one...
big_smile.png

5 Egg Day Yeah. The butff who laid it has been going into the nest box for the last couple of days. She doesnt squat like the others do but she laid today.
1 more buff to go and it will be 6 egg day soon. Then the long wait for Blue egg day and pita egg day.

What would cause a normally brown egg layer to lay an almost white egg. Ive seen splotchy pigmentation on some on occasion but this one was so pale it seemed almost white.

Back
Top Bottom