California - Northern

So sorry about the illness. Definitely have a necropsy, so you know for sure what you are dealing with and how to proceed.

I read that MN has banned poultry shows due to AI. They may not be allowing birds to leave the state. That would effect your order.
I'm up and drinking my morning coffee when the Farm Report comes on at 5 am. There are many states that are being affected by AI. Last week they reported that Tyson was destroying turkeys in the millions, the grow out farms had been hit with AI.

It could be an eye infection. If you do cull I would do one and ask for a reply asap in case. Keep the other areas qd.

Sorry I'm not replying much but its still too crazy.

And now I have a sad question. One of my grow out pens with 6-8 weeks olds is being decimated in the last 3 days. Yesterday I lost 1/2 the pen! Crops empty. Dying overnight under the heat or out of it. I lost 3 more last night. Eyes clear nose clear. I sent some in to davis this morning but I'm in a panic for the 4 babies left. I'm giving them sulfa but I'm not thinking that it is cocci. All other pens are fine with leads me to think something in the flooring or feed. I moved them with new feed and water but anyone think of any hail Marys I can try? I at least want to do what I can
sad.png
(
( it new feed as of yesterday so I don't think it is the current feed)
Oh chiqita I wish I had an answer that is so sad.

I wish it was just an eye infection but by the time I got home two more birds were symptomatic including wheezing. After I cleaned everything up I noticed a hen in the infected pen gently pecking at the eye area of another, sort of grooming it. I checked and sure enough swelling and bubbles. I will go out and cull her in the morning. @ronott1 one of the girls I had to cull was one of the Konzas you hatched for me. Another was Godiva, my Chocolate Rock. Why is it always the favorites?? If I have another couple of days like today I won't have anyone left in my big pen
hit.gif

In other news Urch is sending me back my money. I guess they just didn't get enough chicks to fill the order. I was going to give those chicks to my broody Australorp and since I knew they wouldn't be coming I stopped by the Kindergarten class I had donated hatching eggs to and picked up 2 chicks for her. Brought them home and guess who broke herself after 5 weeks on the nest .
he.gif
So I have two little house chicks for now. I will get them out as soon as the illness is managed but obviously don't want to expose them .

OK, most of the chickens were on the roost, including Omelette II (guess who was the one chicken that had her back to the wall instead of facing conveniently out
roll.png
). I grabbed her and sniffed--not really much of a smell, but what little there was, was a little yeasty.

So, now what?

OK, most of the chickens were on the roost, including Omelette II (guess who was the one chicken that had her back to the wall instead of facing conveniently out
roll.png
). I grabbed her and sniffed--not really much of a smell, but what little there was, was a little yeasty.

So, now what?
For vent gleet, treatment is by using monistat 7. Take her in and wash her bottom each day and put the cream on the sore bottom. Feed her 1\3 of a suppository twice a day until the fungal infection is gone.

You two will "bond" over the experience. Giving a hen a bath is quite an experience....

Well, I'm a little disappointed. Out of the 16 Rosecomb eggs I received in the mail, only 2 are alive and moving around in their egg.
sad.png
2 others are hopefully alive, and about 5 others are probably dead. The rest are dead/clear.

I still have hope for the 4, but we shall see.

Back
Top Bottom