California - Northern

Aaaaaaand now I have THREE broody girls. One egg laid today in the first broody's nest, which got broken and then glued ALL three fake eggs to her feathers.

So, to all the people asking how to make a hen go broody, the answer is apparently to put her in my coop. *sigh*

At this point I'm tempted to put them all into a giant broody breaker pen and just be done with it.

Received this email from GFF on their pre-July holiday sale. They also are working on Silver East Frisian Gulls and have imported a 4th line of Ayam Cemanis.

We are cutting prices by OVER 50% on select breeds for this special July presale!

BREED STANDARD PRICE PRESALE PRICE SAVINGS
White Pavlovskaya
$99 ea $29 ea $70 ea
Barbezieux
$99 ea $29 ea $70 ea
Lavender Wyandotte
$99 ea $29 ea $70 ea
Orust
$99 ea $29 ea $70 ea
Twentse
$59 ea $19 ea $40 ea
Niederrheiner
$59 ea $19 ea $40 ea
Black Copper Marans
$59 ea $19 ea $40 ea
Bielefelder Pullet
$29 ea $19 ea $10 ea
Cream Legbar Pullet
$29 ea $19 ea $10 ea
Swedish Flower Hens
$29 ea $19 ea $10 ea
Sulmtaler
$29 ea $19 ea $10 ea

Aaaaaaand now I have THREE broody girls. One egg laid today in the first broody's nest, which got broken and then glued ALL three fake eggs to her feathers.

So, to all the people asking how to make a hen go broody, the answer is apparently to put her in my coop. *sigh*

At this point I'm tempted to put them all into a giant broody breaker pen and just be done with it.
Looks like you got Orps for sure.

Looks like you got Orps for sure.

In all their broody glory.

Naughty girls! Once one has the memo, I find they give it to the others pretty quickly...
:)

For months I have viewed the Orust breed. There are a lot of photos but GFF seems to be the only ones briefly describing them. There isn't even an Orust thread on BYC. Anyone own any Orusts or have info on them?

For months I have viewed the Orust breed. There are a lot of photos but GFF seems to be the only ones briefly describing them. There isn't even an Orust thread on BYC. Anyone own any Orusts or have info on them?

They do not sound like a breed that I would want:

Quote: Aggressive roosters? They are pretty though.

Another concern I would have with them is heat tolerance. They come from a very cold place.

I bring up the heat tolerance particularly because of the Facebook post about lots of chickens dyeing in the heat. If you check, they are likely from parts of the world that do not get hot like we do. Orust are coming form the west coast of Sweden. I would expect half of them to die in the summer here.

I know of a person that had Marans in Arizona. He had to install an air conditioner in his coop! He could have had a flock of Penedesencas instead. They lay more eggs and some of the eggs are darker than marans.

It would be smart to pick chickens that can live in our heat.

Quote: The eggs were actually brown. I emailed the company that produces these eggs asking what to expect. I was told the chicks should hatch red. They all hatched white with the occasional black spot. This is what the layers look like ( From their FB page)

I am so glad I only have the one. Just wish it wasn't my Olive Egger!

I bring up the heat tolerance particularly because of the Facebook post about lots of chickens dyeing in the heat. If you check, they are likely from parts of the world that do not get hot like we do. Orust are coming form the west coast of Sweden. I would expect half of them to die in the summer here.

I know of a person that had Marans in Arizona. He had to install an air conditioner in his coop! He could have had a flock of Penedesencas instead. They lay more eggs and some of the eggs are darker than marans.

It would be smart to pick chickens that can live in our heat.
In this part of the start, heat tolerance is a MAJOR consideration! It is much easier to keep them warmer in winter than cool them in summer.

Back
Top Bottom