California - Northern

They are a great feed, the prices just fluctuate from store to store. I've seen it sold for $32 and probably costs more the closer one gets to the bay area.

Quote:
Wish we had a drop here. I will have to check out the process at Skyway Feed. They can be very frustrating to buy from though. They are often out of stuff and I end having to go to Chico to buy feed. I have looked for feed the last couple of times I have been to Costco in Chico and have not been able to find it here. They only seem to carry it when they also have the chicken coops. I don't remember seeing any in the Chico store this year

Ron...do you have any pictures of your Arkansas Blues?. I was given a chick by someone a month or so back and cannot tell which one it is now that they are older. I am afraid I may have gotten it mixed up with some of my others and sold it!

Wish we had a drop here. I will have to check out the process at Skyway Feed. They can be very frustrating to buy from though. They are often out of stuff and I end having to go to Chico to buy feed. I have looked for feed the last couple of times I have been to Costco in Chico and have not been able to find it here. They only seem to carry it when they also have the chicken coops. I don't remember seeing any in the Chico store this year

Ron...do you have any pictures of your Arkansas Blues?. I was given a chick by someone a month or so back and cannot tell which one it is now that they are older. I am afraid I may have gotten it mixed up with some of my others and sold it!
Oh no!

Did you have a splash, blue or black?

I'm suffering from chicken math...sold, rehomed, processed 15. Then 12 chicks hatched and my friend gave me three special project chicks. Net reduction in chicken numbers = 0. So much for downsizing. :oops: Time for another trip to the feed store for more feed. At least the 12 chicks will be my last until fall.
Edited to add: Blue laced Red Wyandotte hen? One of my favorites! That chicken is gorgeous! What does the project involve? Good old Chicken Math! I am having issues with it too! I had wanted to get some Silkie pullets from a nearby breeder with a reputation for good healthy birds a few weeks back. The ones she posted were spoken for pretty fast but she mentioned she had a few more that would be ready in a couple of weeks. After about 4 weeks went by I figured she had forgotten or already sold them so I jumped at the chance to get some day-olds from Jeff when he posted a "Flash Chick Sale" on FB. I got 5 Silkies and 2 Tolbunt Polish chicks and my broody OE is a very happy lady! Then the other breeder messaged me and said she had some ready to go and I didn't want to be one of "Those People" that says they want something and then flakes. SO I left the house at 8 AM yesterday morning to beat the heat and drove to Gridley. She had 5 juveniles ready but thought 1 was likely a cockerel so I was only going to get the other 4 but she didn't want him to be lonely so thru him in for free. She was already giving me an amazing price on them so I was floored when she added him for free. I suspect I won't have too much trouble rehoming it if does turn out to be a boy. These are the new ones...
Some of you may remember that I was asking for photos a couple of months ago. Well, my article is finally up! http://h2g2.com/edited_entry/A87846547
Congratulations! Nice article. It is very thorough and covers a lot of areas involved in raising chickens.. I especially like the part about not wanting to unconscious in the pen with your chickens and the reference to our wonderful group!
Thanks! One reason I wrote it is that, while there are lots of detailed, focused articles and blog entries online covering different aspects of chicken keeping, I couldn't really find anything that covered everything (and I certainly found out why--I had to force myself to not get too detailed so it'd be short enough to actually be read!) I figured that if someone was curious about why they saw chickens somewhere urban, but not curious enough to major research, then I may have filled a need :)

Quote: Thanks! One reason I wrote it is that, while there are lots of detailed, focused articles and blog entries online covering different aspects of chicken keeping, I couldn't really find anything that covered everything (and I certainly found out why--I had to force myself to not get too detailed so it'd be short enough to actually be read!) I figured that if someone was curious about why they saw chickens somewhere urban, but not curious enough to major research, then I may have filled a need :)

This should be perfect for that! All the basics are covered and if they want more detail there are plenty of other options!

Quote:
I believe mine was to be blue. I also got Blue Copper Marans and Blue Laced Red Wyandotte chicks around the same time. I remember thinking a few of the BLRW had single combs instead of the Rose Combs....but now I am thinking one of them was the Ark Blue. I think I sold it cheap as a Wyandotte because of the "Wrong" comb...
barnie.gif

Edited to add pictures: These are the 3 I have and am hoping 1 of them is the AB.....the 2nd and 3rd both have heatheres legs and are getting copper on the neck so I think the are Blue Copper Marans...

Last edited:
I believe mine was to be blue. I also got Blue Copper Marans and Blue Laced Red Wyandotte chicks around the same time. I remember thinking a few of the BLRW had single combs instead of the Rose Combs....but now I am thinking one of them was the Ark Blue. I think I sold it cheap as a Wyandotte because of the "Wrong" comb...
barnie.gif

These are blue and splash pullets

Blue pullet up high!

Far left and second from right are blue Arkansas blues. The one on the far right is either a black Ark blue or an OE.

Quote:
barnie.gif

Edited to add pictures: These are the 3 I have and am hoping 1 of them is the AB.....the 2nd and 3rd both have heatheres legs and are getting copper on the neck so I think the are Blue Copper Marans...

Scorcher today keep those chickies cool.
Definitely! Even supposed to be around 105 here on Paradise

Quote: Hmmm...I don't think any of the 3 I have are AB then. I added pictures to my previous post of the 3 I have.....

Back
Top Bottom