California - Northern

A Serma is a type of bantam. They can be very small, like the size of a quail and are called micro.

Because of their size, some owners find it hard to care for them. There are a couple on here that have them so they will have much more information about them.

Thank you for the info. Another question. My 10 week olds seem to be losing a lot of feathers. Is this normal at their age. You can't tell by looking at them but I see a lot of feathers around the yard

Thank you for the info. Another question. My 10 week olds seem to be losing a lot of feathers. Is this normal at their age. You can't tell by looking at them but I see a lot of feathers around the yard

They lose their juvenile feathers in lieu of the newer larger adult feathers growing in. Meanwhile chickens are always losing a feather here and there now and then.

When a bird has their first year molt it will look like a chicken exploded in your yard - LOL !

A reinforced lesson to me:
A couple more days of incubation doesn't hurt anything and sometimes results in a delightful surprise...
#14 button quail pipped & partially hatched this afternoon - a full 2 days after everyone else.
I shall love him & squeeze him & pet him & call him "Tardy". :)
:lau Now, THAT'S a blast from the past!
Also, I had fortuitous timing in cleaning out my mealworm farm (too much frass).
I have a TON of super little worms - perfect for vicious, hungry baby button quail to squabble over.

7 of the 9 Serama chicks hatched from the shipped eggs. 2 more drying off and today is Day 21 so potential for more! I receive 22 eggs....pulled 4 at 10 days and 4 more looked like late quitters at lockdown.

7 of the 9 Serama chicks hatched from the shipped eggs. 2 more drying off and today is Day 21 so potential for more! I receive 22 eggs....pulled 4 at 10 days and 4 more looked like late quitters at lockdown.

Very nice!

See, you can hatch shipped Serama eggs.

Ok, no one answered on the other threads, so I'll ask here where people DO answer questions: I candled the final broody hen's eggs last night. Day 16. 2 clears were tossed. 2 show definite development. 1 shows development, but is "sloshy" if that makes sense. Should I toss the sloshy one, too?
you got your answer but yes, sniff the slosher, they can go bad FAST.

I'm checking for ideas, anyone work with leg mites that have been mild but wont go away for a while that just went INSANE?

I have 2 seremas that i have been treating periodically but seems to come back, that had their problem go crazy last week and 2 lost their back toe.

I brought everyone in last night, treated with WD 40 and washed this morning, did ivermectin orally, and did Vaseline this AM. One poor girl is still limping, everyone else is just annoyed to be inside. When the skin sloshed off this AM my worse girl lost all her skin in some spots ( thus inside) .

Any foolproof treatments? the coop was just redone new bedding and treated for bugs last week. I think that started the issue the nits all jumped on the chickens as the coop was killing them. they had frontline, but obviously does not work on these.

Also, I might be re-homing some of my silkie and showgirl hens, PM me if you are interested and willing to pick up. The broody madness is getting to Mario, ha.

How is everyone else doing?

Back
Top Bottom