California - Northern

A reinforced lesson to me:
A couple more days of incubation doesn't hurt anything and sometimes results in a delightful surprise...
#14 button quail pipped & partially hatched this afternoon - a full 2 days after everyone else.
I shall love him & squeeze him & pet him & call him "Tardy". :)

Also, I had fortuitous timing in cleaning out my mealworm farm (too much frass).
I have a TON of super little worms - perfect for vicious, hungry baby button quail to squabble over.

A couple more days of incubation doesn't hurt anything and sometimes results in a delightful surprise...
#14 button quail pipped & partially hatched this afternoon - a full 2 days after everyone else.

Also, I had fortuitous timing in cleaning out my mealworm farm (too much frass).
I have a TON of super little worms - perfect for vicious, hungry baby button quail to squabble over.

Nice! I really wish filling my yard with California quail was doable. I miss seeing those.

Ok, no one answered on the other threads, so I'll ask here where people DO answer questions: I candled the final broody hen's eggs last night. Day 16. 2 clears were tossed. 2 show definite development. 1 shows development, but is "sloshy" if that makes sense. Should I toss the sloshy one, too?

Ok, no one answered on the other threads, so I'll ask here where people DO answer questions: I candled the final broody hen's eggs last night. Day 16. 2 clears were tossed. 2 show definite development. 1 shows development, but is "sloshy" if that makes sense. Should I toss the sloshy one, too?

I have had chicken egg's take as much as 30 days to hatch but as long as the egg is viable I don't toss but clear go and the ring of death get tossed ..... Egg's are funny at times and like kids some are slower then others but by adult hood ya would never notice the difference .... But the norm is 17 to 26 days but the ideal is 21 days for a good hatch just really depends on time of year and the weather with temp and humidity ...

sometimes they look odd inside the egg and you cannot see the veins. They will often hatch out as a healthy chick. If the air cell is detached, you will have problems hatching it under a broody though. Were the eggs shipped?

Remember, the sniff test is very important! If your nose is not working(I read an article that said two to three million Americans have smell and taste problems), get someone to sniff the eggs for you.

Ditto the sniff test.
I'll candle at various times during incubation & smell them as I go. I toss anything that is "off".
I leave all the other eggs until lockdown (for chickens, day 18).
I pull the clears when I prepare for lockdown.

Mine throw a lot on the ground, (layer pellets), I hit it with the hose and they clean it up also. They aren't big fans of the mash I make up from the the powder left in the bottoms of the feeders though.

I have feed chicks the 21% game bird feed I give to bantams, quail, and anything I might collect hatching eggs from. It has gone up recently, $22 for a 50 lb bag. Our only choice is Purina or Rogue from the local co-op. The dates on the Purina tend to be old, I guess I haven't found where people are buying theirs.
I get mine at Tractor Supply. I just picked up 2 bags of flock raiser there yesterday at $17.99/50# bag. I have never had any with old dates,. That probably depends of volume of sales. They have been out of the Game Bird chow for almost 2 weeks though. It is the only one I can find with 30% protein. The next closest is the Bar Ale at 27% for the Pheasant Turkey Grower

I will call and see how much I can pick up a bag for direct from the company. I travel down there quite often..here are some picture of my 2 months old. I am quite pleased with my chicks from mcmurrays. I have quite an assortment..

Nice set up and good looking birds. WhatBeautiful! breed are they?

I have a about 20-21 week old Pullet that looks like she wants to lay her first egg. She's from my first hatch of this year. She's been in and out of the next box all morning and I can't wait to see what her egg color will be. Hopefully she will be a " keeper".

She's back out of the nest box again cooling off under the misters, so maybe I'll get an egg in the next day or so.

Trisha

Beautiful!
Quote: Me too! No waste. The are picking every speck of the bottom of the trough by noon

I have had one that happened with too....2 days after everyone else was don and I was going in to clean the incubator and found one more pipped!

Quote: I have never had them go that long, but definitely several days after the due date. I think my incubators tend to run a little low....

I took down the net fence and suddenly Sylvester is patrolling like mad. He will now suffer no pigeon to land in the yard. He didn't seem to care at all about them before. But now that he has room to CHARGE? Boy does he!

Back
Top Bottom