California - Northern

I think you would be Southern too !!!
1f601.png
Remember I know who ur and where u live buddy.

I know there are a bunch of us Northern California types here (yeah, I'm talking to you).

Now, the question is where do we draw the line between North and South?
wink.png
tongue.png

Quote:

Look at Northern California on Wikipedia which has a nice map of California defining the North/South counties, but then there are Central California regions as well which Wikipedia seems to place in the Northern California division. It's all subjective IMO depending on where you personally place yourself. I have friends and family who adamantly declare themselves as neither North or South but declare themselves "Central Californians."

I lost a Pita Pinta girl last night. One of my birds had been acting sick for a while. (Puffed up huddled in a corner standing by herself) No other outward signs she was ill except her feathers were not coming back in. She would eat and drink and was excited about treats. She exhibited this behavior late last summer for a little while but seemed to recover. About a month ago saw her like this again but she seemed to recover. Well I noticed the behavior again just after the storm and when I went out to feed she seemed to be having more trouble getting around. So I made up a hospital bed in the garage she ate and drank fairly well but last night as I was changing her bedding I noticed she couldnt stand (she was bone thin) I hadnt noticed how thin she was before. (she was always one of the smaller birds anyway) She seemed to take comfort at being under the warm lamp and being pampered she was alert and eating just weak and worn out. She apparently passed peacfully last night. Her comb was never purple or did she have an discharge or noise in here breathing. She kept passing mostly water from her stool yesterday though (something with all the rain I couldnt notice in the coop). I also noticed late last night that she seemed to have labored breathing. All through it she seemed cheerfully alert and enjoyed the chin scratches and petting she was getting.

I think she had the genetic defect that some Pitas can have is the swollen oviduct because as I was examining her yesterday her abdomen near her butt was swollen even though the rest of her was thin. Im not sure I could have saved her if I had caught her earlier but she seemed to enjoy the attention she was getting on her final day.

Im pretty sure she had not laid an egg since spring last year so while its sad to lose them her long battle is finally over. Im not planning on sending her in. With a small break in the rain expected later today she will get her own fruit tree to lay under.

Sorry for your loss Ron. They hide things so well, but I still feel bad when I miss things, even genetic. The 2 Basque hens I have have very poor sight, they are in with my old mellow rocks but it was a scary introduction.
At least she got special pampering and compassion in her passing.

I lost a Pita Pinta girl last night. One of my birds had been acting sick for a while. (Puffed up huddled in a corner standing by herself)  No other outward signs she was ill except her feathers were not coming back in. She would eat and drink and was excited about treats. She exhibited this behavior late last summer for a little while but seemed to recover. About a month ago saw her like this again but she seemed to recover. Well I noticed the behavior again just after the storm and when I went out to feed she seemed to be having more trouble getting around. So I made up a hospital bed in the garage she ate and drank fairly well but last night as I was changing her bedding I noticed she couldnt stand (she was bone thin) I hadnt noticed how thin she was before. (she was always one of the smaller birds anyway) She seemed to take comfort at being under the warm lamp and being pampered she was alert and eating just weak and worn out. She apparently passed peacfully last night. Her comb was never purple or did she have an discharge or noise in here breathing. She kept passing mostly water from her stool yesterday though (something with all the rain I couldnt notice in the coop). I  also noticed late last night that she seemed to have labored breathing. All through it she seemed cheerfully alert and enjoyed the chin scratches and petting she was getting.

I think she had the genetic defect that some Pitas can have is the swollen oviduct because as I was examining her yesterday her abdomen near her butt was swollen even though the rest of her was thin. Im not sure I could have saved her if I had caught her earlier but she seemed to enjoy the attention she was getting on her final day.

Im pretty sure she had not laid an egg since spring last year so while its sad to lose them her long battle is finally over. Im not planning on sending her in.  With a small break in the rain expected later today she will get her own fruit tree to lay under.

So sorry Chris.

i am sorry too. that is nice she got some warm lights and you took the time to care for her....they deserve that TLC. with all this cold icey rain i could use some warm lights too! take care......

Back
Top Bottom