California - Northern

Finally making my way to this thread. I'm in Redding - looks like a little further north than many of you. I'm in the process of working on (still at the hatching and growing out stages) adding some fun new breeds to my flock (currently a bunch of very traditional laying hens).
Ive got some BCM in the grow out pen that might amount to something (still watching feathering and body structure), a nice breeding group of Bieles in another grow out, and then I'm in the egg stage of Isbars (Silverudd's Blue) and Cream Legbars. For fun (and for local backyarders) I also do a fun sexlink hatch every month (BR/BCM) and the cockerels will be for my freezer!

Finally making my way to this thread. I'm in Redding - looks like a little further north than many of you. I'm in the process of working on (still at the hatching and growing out stages) adding some fun new breeds to my flock (currently a bunch of very traditional laying hens).
Ive got some BCM in the grow out pen that might amount to something (still watching feathering and body structure), a nice breeding group of Bieles in another grow out, and then I'm in the egg stage of Isbars (Silverudd's Blue) and Cream Legbars. For fun (and for local backyarders) I also do a fun sexlink hatch every month (BR/BCM) and the cockerels will be for my freezer!
It is great to see you here!

Post pictures when you get a chance

Hey Ron! Thanks!
Okay, here's a really short tour of Little Ranchland Farm! (Disclaimer, it has rained and rained in Biblical proportions and things aren't as clean as I like!)
This is a pic of the "Big coop" that came with the house. I store my tomato cages on top to keep one of our stubborn Barred Rocks from sleeping up there - even in the pouring rain!

Coops 2 and 3 The "Toy Box" (all chickens named after toys) and "Story Book Cottage" (all chickens named after story book characters or authors) Just started a trial of doing deep litter since we had a big pine tree chipped up after it was taken out.

One of my grow-out groups- some barn yard mixes and a few BCM I'm watching for good traits. Mostly cockerels who will either be sold or processed if I dont use them in breeding.

Where the Cockerels will go if they're not going to be bred. We jokingly called it the "Meat Wagon". We turned our old, worn out horse trailer into this lovely little eyesore!

Here are a couple Bielefelders and some of the BCM/BR sexlink cockerels in another grow out tractor that is currently in our carport.

The incubator is currently full... so more pics to come!!
Oh, and here are a couple shots of our gang of laying hens and their trusty rooster.

]

Last edited:
Hey Ron! Thanks!
Okay, here's a really short tour of Little Ranchland Farm! (Disclaimer, it has rained and rained in Biblical proportions and things aren't as clean as I like!)
This is a pic of the "Big coop" that came with the house. I store my tomato cages on top to keep one of our stubborn Barred Rocks from sleeping up there - even in the pouring rain!

Coops 2 and 3 The "Toy Box" (all chickens named after toys) and "Story Book Cottage" (all chickens named after story book characters or authors) Just started a trial of doing deep litter since we had a big pine tree chipped up after it was taken out.

One of my grow-out groups- some barn yard mixes and a few BCM I'm watching for good traits. Mostly cockerels who will either be sold or processed if I dont use them in breeding.

Where the Cockerels will go if they're not going to be bred. We jokingly called it the "Meat Wagon". We turned our old, worn out horse trailer into this lovely little eyesore!

Here are a couple Bielefelders and some of the BCM/BR sexlink cockerels in another grow out tractor that is currently in our carport.

The incubator is currently full... so more pics to come!!
Oh, and here are a couple shots of our gang of laying hens and their trusty rooster.

]

how cute! I love it!

@Honora

Originally Posted by WVduckchick View Post

Updated totals:

8 Bantam Cochins
6 Bantam Chocolate Orpington
9 Seramas
8 Bantam "bearded" Cochins

Less than an hour left.

Current high bid $11 @bhaugh

@Honora

Originally Posted by WVduckchick View Post

Updated totals:

8 Bantam Cochins
6 Bantam Chocolate Orpington
9 Seramas
8 Bantam "bearded" Cochins

Less than an hour left.

Current high bid $11 @bhaugh

I would love those Orpingtons but that's too many chickens! :) I have 8 LF chocolate orps on the way this Spring.

Back
Top Bottom