California - Northern

Sacramento County allows hens--I think it is three. Woodland and Davis allow 6 hens per residence. West Sacramento has a limit based on lot size.

Generally speaking, cities allow hens here. In the Counties, the property needs to have an Ag zoning for chickens but you can keep roosters in Yolo County. Solano county may have limits on the number of roosters to help with the sport that we cannot name on BYC--It involves betting on a winner...

Check the property zoning for where you want to go and then the county or City website for the rules. Watch out for HOA's! They can be brutal
Yes I have been watching real estate websites to get a feel for the market. Def no HOA's! I've filtered them out in my search. I'm thinking our budget will be $350K and under and I want a pool. It seems that there are places, they just seem to be older and in need of a face lift. That's ok. A garden and chickens are a higher priority to me than a pretty house :)

We live in Amador an hour outside Sacramento. If you go out a bit you can get more for your money. Our house is older but in excellent shape, definitely not cookie cutter, and on 9 acres in the mountains.

We really wanted elk grove/ vineyard area, wilton, but it's way too expensive.

My sister lives near Auburn - they have a really nice place on acreage. I'm not sure we'll want to spend that much time in the car though. His job is in the heart of Sac and it's likely mine will be too

It's a trek. We both commute right now.

Hubby works in Rancho Cordova so it's not so bad for him. I work in Arden area but I'll be working from home 4 days a week soon (soon! Soon!!!!!!) and that definitely influenced our decision to move out to boonies.

It's a trek. We both commute right now.

Hubby works in Rancho Cordova so it's not so bad for him. I work in Arden area but I'll be working from home 4 days a week soon (soon! Soon!!!!!!) and that definitely influenced our decision to move out to boonies.
The bf is currently living in Rancho Cordova and working in the Arden area! What a coinquidink! Lol

How funny!

Well, one reason we looked out here was because the commute is through farmland instead of the city, commuting from auburn you have to go through Roseville, and then elk grove is just horrible. Out east it hasn't built up yet, but then there is less for sale. We had to go way outside the city to get land, but that's what we wanted. Closer to work we would have been lucky to get 1/3 acre with an ok house. You can have a big garden and some chickens on 1/3 acre though.

Here are my chickens, I'm usually too busy working my butt off to get chicken or garden pics lol but I did get some today.

My ameraucanas really blend in! Think you can see my little cockerel in there. He might end up in the pot, he's a French maran and I didn't really want feathered feet in my mix but we shall see. He's terrified of the jersey giants, they're mean to the little ones, but he gets along well with my pullets. They sleep in a pile on top of the dog crate, it's so cute. The jg roost in the corner. I don't have a coop for them yet but of course the weather is really mild so we have a couple months before we have to winterize.

Attachments

• 20170824_094040.jpg
    20170824_094040.jpg
    844.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20170824_093903.jpg
    20170824_093903.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
Sacramento County allows hens--I think it is three. Woodland and Davis allow 6 hens per residence. West Sacramento has a limit based on lot size.

Generally speaking, cities allow hens here. In the Counties, the property needs to have an Ag zoning for chickens but you can keep roosters in Yolo County. Solano county may have limits on the number of roosters to help with the sport that we cannot name on BYC--It involves betting on a winner...

Check the property zoning for where you want to go and then the county or City website for the rules. Watch out for HOA's! They can be brutal
And make sure you have a well

We live in Amador an hour outside Sacramento. If you go out a bit you can get more for your money. Our house is older but in excellent shape, definitely not cookie cutter, and on 9 acres in the mountains.

We really wanted elk grove/ vineyard area, wilton, but it's way too expensive.
Sounds like you found a nice place.

Back
Top Bottom