California - Northern

so here's a question, while i'm waiting for one of my silly girls to decide to go broody: i have two CLs, with very clear-blue eggs, and the roo is a swedish flower hen, which supposedly lay lightish-colored eggs (i have no SFH girls, so i've never actually seen an egg). if i hatch one of their crosses, will its eggs be blue, or an OE of some shade, or...?

thanks!

so here's a question, while i'm waiting for one of my silly girls to decide to go broody: i have two CLs, with very clear-blue eggs, and the roo is a swedish flower hen, which supposedly lay lightish-colored eggs (i have no SFH girls, so i've never actually seen an egg). if i hatch one of their crosses, will its eggs be blue, or an OE of some shade, or...?

thanks!

You will probably get a color closer to light green or still blue. It take a fairly dark egg to change the color all the way to Olive green.

The eggs will be pretty though!

They will be greener early in the laying cycle too. The brown gets lighter.

Remember, the egg shell is blue for blue egg layers. The green color comes form the brown paint applied at the end of the egg making process in the chicken. Blue at the first part when the shell is formed an then brown at the end.

You will probably get a color closer to light green or still blue. It take a fairly dark egg to change the color all the way to Olive green.

The eggs will be pretty though!

They will be greener early in the laying cycle too. The brown gets lighter.

Remember, the egg shell is blue for blue egg layers. The green color comes form the brown paint applied at the end of the egg making process in the chicken. Blue at the first part when the shell is formed an then brown at the end.

thanks, that makes perfect sense. i forgot the brown was paint-like... and i was assuming "OE" is just a generic term for a greenish-layer -- i actually prefer a lighter green to olive!

They will be EEs.

Are you looking for Amelias?

no, not particularly "looking" for anything -- was just watching everyone pecking around this morning and wondering what all the various crosses (SFH x marans, or sussex, or CLs...) might end up looking like! as i keep my fingers crossed for broodiness, i'm torn between hatching out some of their crosses vs. getting eggs of some additional varieties...

so EE refers to any chicken that's not a pure-bred that lays colored eggs? i'd assumed all EEs were at least vaguely related to ameraucanas...

Last edited:
Sometimes there is blood.

I hope the chick is ok!

fl.gif

I was very excited to see the egg. I will probably dream about olive colored eggs tonight....

This morning, that egg was just squished. I pulled it out and took the shell off to look at it. Not sure if it matters, but the head seemed to be pushed around almost backwards. Another egg has pipped and I hear peeping from some others. Hoping the other 3 all hatch!

Quote:
EEs used to be Aracaunas crossed with anything, including the not recognized colors of Ameracaunas. It is debated now because of the importation of the Cream Legbars. Some want to call the Cream Legbars EEs!
lau.gif

I think in reality, if you cross a Cream Legbar with a Crele Pene and you get a chicken that breeds true hatch after hatch, then it is a breed and should not be called an EE. Time will tell what happens though

I was asking about the Amelias because I have some that I do not need. I will set up a page for them in the sales
\rehome section. They will likely go the the Animal Exchange if it starts up and if no one wants them.

thanks!
Hi Laura,
Swedes lay light tan eggs so an outcross would likely produce green eggs, not olive.

Back
Top Bottom