California - Northern

Doing some bits of landscaping . Plan to surround the chic yard with hardy, zone 6-7 , plants but would like them to have something for them to nibble through the fence. Any suggestions?

So far I've started on one side... Two choke cherry , a diablo ninebark, some Lilly , fairy bells , bleeding heart, Jupiter's beard , and rose barberry. They prefer the dandilon, yarrow, and meadow sweet in the main yard but that's not fenced.....

It is funny when that happens--Them turning into Roos!

The Roseville Auction is tomorrow.

Ah shoot. Don't think I can make that. Is it a chicken auction?

Yeah, depends were you're at, between 2,000-4000 feet lows and highs. When I was little we got three feet of snow in penn valley! Palm trees look about as silly as a redwood in the desert here though.

Hi everyone! Sorry I've been MIA. Been so busy with the chickens I haven't had much time to chat about them. We've been having a coyote problem and have lost four. We know what to do about that, luckily. What I do not know what to do with is all our roosters. We have so many! And this morning I heard my daughter's special chicken, Luna, crowing
barnie.gif
. And they've gotten to that stage where a lot of them are chasing down the hens and jumping them. The hens do not seem happy about this. Isn't that bad rooster behavior?

So we have a handful of roosters (I want to say between five and ten) that are mixed laying flock boys. Some of them are gorges calico colors with crests. They all hatched April 13th, so not ready to process yet. I'm trying to ignore them so I don't want to keep any. Then we have:
-A black bantam frizzle, who I would like to keep. He's really friendly with us but aggressive with the hens. Will that stop?
-A bantam Belgian Antwerp who is very funny and handsome, but seems pretty aggressive with the other chickens
-Two Buff Orpingtons - Very handsome boys. They seem more polite than some of the others. I am keeping the bigger one and not the smaller.
-A silver laced Polish. He's out of here. What a jerk.
-A Favorolle. He gets picked on by everyone. He's sweet, though. I wouldn't mind keeping him.
-A Partridge Cochin. He is also polite to the girls. He's going to be so big and pretty. His girl got killed, though.
-Apparently a standard sultan who we have to keep, because "Luna" is Clementine's special favorite

So with a flock of a little more than 20 girls we should really only keep two, right? I don't see how we can manage that! Is there anyone localish to us who gives roosters a good free range life until they humanely process them? We don't have a freezer or the knowledge of processing to do it ourselves, but I wouldn't mind passing most of the boys along to someone who would keep them happy and then quickly end it. I know the Western Farm store takes roosters, but I'm not sure how many they will take.

Hi everyone! Sorry I've been MIA. Been so busy with the chickens I haven't had much time to chat about them. We've been having a coyote problem and have lost four. We know what to do about that, luckily. What I do not know what to do with is all our roosters. We have so many! And this morning I heard my daughter's special chicken, Luna, crowing
barnie.gif
. And they've gotten to that stage where a lot of them are chasing down the hens and jumping them. The hens do not seem happy about this. Isn't that bad rooster behavior?

So we have a handful of roosters (I want to say between five and ten) that are mixed laying flock boys. Some of them are gorges calico colors with crests. They all hatched April 13th, so not ready to process yet. I'm trying to ignore them so I don't want to keep any. Then we have:
-A black bantam frizzle, who I would like to keep. He's really friendly with us but aggressive with the hens. Will that stop?
-A bantam Belgian Antwerp who is very funny and handsome, but seems pretty aggressive with the other chickens
-Two Buff Orpingtons - Very handsome boys. They seem more polite than some of the others. I am keeping the bigger one and not the smaller.
-A silver laced Polish. He's out of here. What a jerk.
-A Favorolle. He gets picked on by everyone. He's sweet, though. I wouldn't mind keeping him.
-A Partridge Cochin. He is also polite to the girls. He's going to be so big and pretty. His girl got killed, though.
-Apparently a standard sultan who we have to keep, because "Luna" is Clementine's special favorite

So with a flock of a little more than 20 girls we should really only keep two, right? I don't see how we can manage that! Is there anyone localish to us who gives roosters a good free range life until they humanely process them? We don't have a freezer or the knowledge of processing to do it ourselves, but I wouldn't mind passing most of the boys along to someone who would keep them happy and then quickly end it. I know the Western Farm store takes roosters, but I'm not sure how many they will take.
I would keep 3
does facebook have a sonoma exchange page? we do up here.

So I want to offer him here before I put him on the exchange page here in Eldorado County.
so far 1 U of A blue egg layer is showing his roosterish self.
I am not breeding U of A's but want the hens for my layer / olive egger flock

so what I have is 1 young Splash U of A blue rooster.
hens of this breed lay blue eggs and far out lay most Ameraucana
Ron knows more about them

So I want to offer him here before I put him on the exchange page here in Eldorado County.
so far 1 U of A blue egg layer is showing his roosterish self.
I am not breeding U of A's but want the hens for my layer / olive egger flock

so what I have is 1 young Splash U of A blue rooster.
hens of this breed lay blue eggs and far out lay most Ameraucana 
Ron knows more about them 

What's a U of A? So clueless sometimes :S

U oa A blue's are a breed of chicken developed at The University Of Arkansas 
They where developed basically to lay blue eggs in commercial leghorn quantities.

They are very new still.

Oh wow that sounds awesome!!! Now I wanna see what they look like.

So when one has four roosters on of ten chickens total does one wait and grow out the Roos to see how personalities change after or during puberty? Currently all three are lap chickens and the Orpington is flighty until you catch it and then it sits on your lap. Wed like to keep two. Don't know how to decide because they are so sweet.

I post on my phone because I'm reading on the phone. Its a big phone but mobile doesn't do spell check well and does not scroll well on the reply. Other then that its fine.

Quartine is an interesting issue. I do it in the garage. Ideally you do 30 days . anything shipped or from an auction setting where its exposed to a million birds and all their germs.

Stress will make birds sick or susptable to being sick. So those situations are more important.

Hope you are having fun at the exchange today!
Why do some use phones here? It seems very limiting. Maybe on a trip or in a pinch.

I only read the site on my Nook color. If I need to reply I get on a real computer.

Is that why some cannot post? Mobile version hiccups?

Back
Top Bottom