California - Northern

I'm sure that mine doesn't love me.  He stalks me when I walk by the pen and runs at me.  I don't turn my back on him when I go in to check on them, that's for sure!  He better calm down before his sons mature or he's going to be replaced!

I could pick mine up but if I turned my back.....he would jump on me. He cornered me a few times, it was a little scary. Had to process him....

Beautiful eggs!!! My Wellie pullets are 20 weeks old now and look to be getting close to POL. I can hardly wait to see what their eggs look like!
I'm with ya! I have some breeder pullets that are 23 weeks old now, and I'm anxiously awaiting their eggs! My breeder girls usually start sometime in the 24-32 week range.

th

Good Morning Peeps!

It is getting to that time of year again--When chicks purchased and hatched start growing up. Some of them are lovely little things and others become thugs. Hopefully the thugs will turn nice--we do not have Juvies, only freezer camp...

It is so exciting when the Pullets start laying those first eggs too! With the adult feathers and nice healthy combs. Some hatched this year will miss molting this fall and those Pullets will keep laying through the winter without extra light.

The recent talk about the Heritage festival made me thing about Baking Sour Dough Bread and food like Chicken Pot Pies and Beef Stew.

Bring on the Fall Weather already!

Last edited:
I'm with ya! I have some breeder pullets that are 23 weeks old now, and I'm anxiously awaiting their eggs! My breeder girls usually start sometime in the 24-32 week range.
So they are slow to mature like my Langshans. I guess that I will have to be patient a while longer. I got the Wellies from Shantih who got the eggs at the Stockton poultry show in January. So, I don't know what kind of quality they are. It's a breed that I have always wanted but never really planned on breeding! But I've changed my mind since I ended up with a quad and they are such nice birds!

I could pick mine up but if I turned my back.....he would jump on me. He cornered me a few times, it was a little scary. Had to process him....
Chauvelin is just so different from my Langshans. I have heard of Brahmas being called gentle giants but almost all of my Langshan boys are that. I can sit in the field with seven of the giant roos all around me with no problems at all. They just want whatever treats I have brought with me! Just walking into the Bresse pen and I have to be on hyper alert. Hmmm....their meat better be extraordinarily good or I might reconsider breeding them. I might prefer to work on my white Langshans instead.

I think my mille fleur leghorn layed an egg! I guess I waited longer then needed to sell the pair....

Orphs look nowhere near ready. They have such small head compared to their fatness.

Back
Top Bottom