California - Northern

Quote: Owie! Take it easy Jason!
I was doing the happy dance last night! We were able to see stars overhead, first time since Saturday. I'm tired of living in a campfire. The smoke is thinner this morning, I can almost see the trees leaves rather than just the siloette. Hoping since we have a little break they can get the helocopters back up to help with the fires.
The smoke is all the way down here too. Hope they get it under control soon.

It is dried cat food and I kind of like the smell of it. I keep it in the garage in a lidded garbage can and toss it out as scratch, a couple of cups full each evening. It is a great distraction too--Gets me to the nest box area without stepping on them. Silly chickens!

It is hard to find animal protein for them in quantities that work for my 6 chickens(Chicken math). I use Ultra Kibble too. If I had them in a pasture I would not worry about animal protein so much.

I have that same Costco cat food at home. Didn't realize it could go to the chickens. I am concerned because they are snobs about the oyster shells. Our NH red laid her first egg yesterday ( not as nice of a birthday present as going to visit the grand baby but it will do! ) hurrah! But it broke before she got her big behind out of the nest box! Will cat food help?

I did see azure has organic non HMO non corn non soy but kind of pricy! I'm hoping our Costco keeps this organic layer for a while. Saves me a trip to the feed store!

Amy!
Good to see you! We have French Muscovites growing out . its my part of my attempt to start doing our own protein . supposedly they are a great beef replacement. But they are mad friendly and I'm loving them.
I was doing the happy dance last night!  We were able to see stars overhead, first time since Saturday.  I'm tired of living in a campfire.  The smoke is thinner this morning, I can almost see the trees leaves rather than just the siloette.  Hoping since we have a little break they can get the helocopters back up to help with the fires.

I hope everyone's air cleans up today sounds awful.

One of my 4-H kids ordered birds twice, the seramas didn't make it and the buttercups looked like different birds and their feet were badly damaged.

and remember my merriks frim the east coast birds. It is supposed to be under 85 on both sides for shipping. And truely it should be under 85 at the hubs too but that is hard to check. The pi does not always know the shipping rules for birds if they dont get them frequently so its good to check your side.
Give yourself a 3 day window for the delivery so i would check weather for those 3 days.

So id wait for autumn.
exactly!  and hopefully in a few days they'll be strong enough that they won't need quite so much attending-to!

thanks to you and Ron for your perspectives this morning, it helped me to figure it out...

I think some mother hens are just bad. Its not weak chicks its mothers who are too vigerious. My seems thought the 2 week old chicks would perch with them and killed all their babies. Was not the chicks it was the moms.

And I missed Jason's cut. Ow ow ow! Take care of that not using a hand is very hard.
So did I! What a bummer. I was so excited on Sat to be told it was time to bring the labor team their snacks that I didn't dry my hands and slipped on some plastic wrap. Slammed my hand down on a freshly sharpened knife . Cut my pointer into the knuckle. Had the midwife look it over. I hate stitches so I went for glue and Popsicle stick lol! Get well soon Jason, children and chores wait for no one ;-)

i took a LOT of update photos of my grow-out chicks today -- i won't post them ALL here, but here's a smattering: queenie, the 11 week old silver duckwing araucana (i didn't end up keeping either of her brothers, who were different colors) harold, my very sweet (so far) CL cockerel, 10 weeks old -- although i gave his sister away to a friend, she had a larger crest that i prefer, plus was a bit of a meanie -- i'm not totally sure i'll keep harold, but so far he's such a charmer, i might have to! blue the isbar boy, also 10 weeks -- i have a feeling he's going to be gorgeous jack the 8-week-old birchen marans boy -- also destined to be rather gorgeous, and has HUGE feet a detail of jack's feathers, i love that green-plus-dark-blue sheen he has already! maria, jack's sister -- she is the most elusive of all my grow-out chicks, this was the best photo i could manage molly the isbar, named for our very own Miss Molly, from whom i got all my isbar eggs/chicks fern, one of the isbar/blue marans crosses i got from Miss Molly mabel in front, i'm not sure if she's a pure isbar or an isbar/marans cross, but leaning toward the latter -- the splash is frieda, definitely a cross little penelope stretching, she's a pure isbar, and that's mabel in front and astrid the SFH, in quite the yoga position!
Oh gosh, they are growing out so beautiful <3

welcome back Amy..

I have been slow to type but reading.
so not posting much this eek . I cut2 fingers bad on glass so had 2 stiches on one finger. 3 on the other. that one to the bone.
So my right hand is useless for a few days lol

Ouch! Glass cuts clean - but it cuts deep. Heal well and fast.
hugs.gif

Quite a few years past I almost cut the tip off my middle finger with a really sharp knife when cutting oranges (talk about pain smarts) and had two stitches in the fingertip. They didn't use anything to numb it when they did them - I felt that needle and cord all the way through - really ouch. That hurt more than cutting it did in the first place, even WITH the orange juice. Next time I am going to superglue it!

Back
Top Bottom