California - Northern

just reporting in: spent the last hour or so watching the 4-week-olds start to explore their new home -- they apparently made it through their first night outdoors (and without their EcoGlow) just fine, and with the help of a few small strategically-placed treats, have found their way down the ramp & to the floor of their run -- now dustbathing in the sunshine. very cute -- although it remains to be seen whether they can remember their way back UP?
woot.gif

You never know. Sometimes they know where to go and sometime you have to move them up the ramp for a while.

I am happy to hear that they are doing well.

Stella is only part Icelandic, she wandered into Mary's yard as an adult and adopted her. She is only part Icelandic because she lays a green egg. But she is what got Mary interested in Icelandic chickens, and her quest to get them started.

Mine are not flighty, but they are escape artists and can get over a 6 ft fence easy.

Thanks Kelly! Flighty is a poor descriptor. I do like escape artist--That is much more descriptive.
What a wonderful mix of breeds you work with.

Do you foresee a time, perhaps, when UofA Blue chicks might be available? And the Penedesenca. They lay that dark brown egg, yes? I would like a few of those. Basques a great breed. I had a local friend who imported and bred them. At the moment, he is taking a break. The old world birds are very different then more modern bred. Reminds me of how dogs, if left to go feral, will develop certain traits and a distinctive look.

I wish you success with your work.
I will have access to hatching eggs between sets for the Egg farmer. I will let everyone know when I have some. Hopefully soon if the lights work!

I love the Penes. They are not aggressive at all. They do think I am going to kill them sometimes though. They get used to me eventually though.

Hope ya'll had a good Thanksgiving :)

I came home to two dead chickens though. A hen and a rooster. That's what I get for going away -_- I plucked the pricey feathers off him though and nuked them. He was trapped between the fence and the wood of the shelter. must have gotten stuck.

Hope ya'll had a good Thanksgiving :)

I came home to two dead chickens though. A hen and a rooster. That's what I get for going away -_- I plucked the pricey feathers off him though and nuked them. He was trapped between the fence and the wood of the shelter. must have gotten stuck.
hugs.gif

That is so sad!

Stella is only part Icelandic, she wandered into Mary's yard as an adult and adopted her.  She is only part Icelandic because she lays a green egg.  But she is what got Mary interested in Icelandic chickens, and her quest to get them started.

Mine are not flighty, but they are escape artists and can get over a 6 ft fence easy.

That is a more accurate description. I love my Icelandics, and they are not really flighty if that means nervous or temperamental. But escape artists, yes. My favorite little white hen flew (somehow) through such a small opening in the mesh roof of our run that storm damage had created. I found this out by doing a double take seeing her alone walking through our yard. There really was no other way out for her, and the ceiling was nine feet plus. How did she navigate such a small opening? One thing I love about them is their quiet pluck. I wouldn't mind a few more.

What a wonderful mix of breeds you work with.

Do you foresee a time, perhaps, when UofA Blue chicks might be available? And the Penedesenca. They lay that dark brown egg, yes? I would like a few of those. Basques a great breed. I had a local friend who imported and bred them. At the moment, he is taking a break. The old world birds are very different then more modern bred. Reminds me of how dogs, if left to go feral, will develop certain traits and a distinctive look.

I wish you success with your work.
I can hatch you some penedesenca and as a added bonus I have U of A hens with my white empordanesa rooster

Back
Top Bottom