California - Northern

Pete had birds at the Heirlom Festival Poultry Show in Santa Rosa in September, so it was nice to see his birds. I got some blues from him a while back to infuse my splash with some darker leg & egg color, which was nice. Between Pete and Bev, I've been able to keep improving my Splash line for the past four years. But, there are always set backs...sigh. It is a long-term endeavor, for sure! But so exciting when each batch of chicks starts maturing and you can see them grow into beauties.

I think the chicks are getting a bit big to fit under Frieda :lol:

Last edited:
It's hysterical to see great big chicks still trying to fit under mama! I once had a BCM who kept her chicks with her until they were 12 weeks old! You can imagine how that went! So goofy!!!

I had a silkie raise a few turkeys last summer. Oh my gosh. It was the funniest thing to see her with them. She would basically just roost on ones back every night in an attempt to let them under her. She never lost one though and they all free ranged with her and our flock all summer. Hilarious and adorable little creatures. :)

Oh, they've been mixed in with everyone else for 2 or 3 weeks now. That's one of the regular nest boxes she's been taking them into.

At 15 weeks my girl Norma was still trying to mother these boys. She cut the cord with the only pullet in this hatch at about 12 weeks but she held on to these boys.

How long is the longest you have let a girl sit before giving her eggs? Is 3 weeks too long?
I've had hens go 9 or more weeks sitting back to back without issue. (not intentionally, they were egg squishers) Is your hen truly broody now or just thinking about it? If she has already raised chicks this year, her weight might not be ideal for a long brooding cycle.

I've had hens go 9 or more weeks sitting back to back without issue. (not intentionally, they were egg squishers) Is your hen truly broody now or just thinking about it? If she has already raised chicks this year, her weight might not be ideal for a long brooding cycle.

Her previous clutch on 7/22 so those chicks are 17 weeks old today. She has been acting broody for about 2 weeks but just started sitting for real yesterday. On other days she would be in the nest box for hours but then get up and terrorize everyone for awhile and roost at night. But she has spent the last two nights on the nest box so I would say that this time tomorrow I can call her broody for real.

She is a barnyard mix and is in good condition right now with glossy feathers and as a setter she does get up and take care of herself a couple of time a day. If I keep her food and water close and make sure she gets high protein snacks do you think she will be fine?

That's her in the above picture. about a year ago she went broody in a flower pot in our first big rain storm and after I put a bucket in her "nest" I was able to convince her that her location was not optimal but she broke.
then she was my girl for the Cinco de Mayo hatch which was sensibly conducted in the coop and she followed up with the July hatch. She looks healthy but if it would compromise her health I can give her eggs sooner. She is my first ever that I hatched myself and she is pretty special.

Last edited:
Pete had birds at the Heirlom Festival Poultry Show in Santa Rosa in September, so it was nice to see his birds. I got some blues from him a while back to infuse my splash with some darker leg & egg color, which was nice. Between Pete and Bev, I've been able to keep improving my Splash line for the past four years. But, there are always set backs...sigh. It is a long-term endeavor, for sure! But so exciting when each batch of chicks starts maturing and you can see them grow into beauties.

You sound like you have great genetics! Pete has some of the finest birds I've ever seen.

Back
Top Bottom