California - Northern

Thanks to all who gave me processing solo advice...I am exhausted. I did 4 cockerels. Had the dispatching done pretty quickly and was surprised at how fast the plucking went but then things stalled. Took 4 hours total but I did get quicker as it went on.

Also sold a hen and a pullet...Speckled Sussex who is a sweetie but not much of a producer and a Blue AM who irritated me because she was so skittish. Ironically I am pretty sure the SS started laying again this week AFTER I made arrangements for her sale but I spent 75.00 at the feed store ( for 3 weeks worth) last week and need to cut down my flock and feed bill.

Anyway,,,it was an emotional chicken day. I know I did right by those boys and that they lived good lives up to this morning but it is hard on the psyche. Still I am proud that I was able and as my daughter said. I now have a marketable skill in the event of the zombie apocalypse.
Good job! I like to do an assembly line type process, it speeds it up a bit. It's never a pleasant chore, but a necessary one when you end up with 20+ cockerels like I did this year. I'm hoping to get 4 more done this weekend, as I still have way too many.

Thanks to all who gave me processing solo advice...I am exhausted. I did 4 cockerels. Had the dispatching done pretty quickly and was surprised at how fast the plucking went but then things stalled. Took 4 hours total but I did get quicker as it went on.

Also sold a hen and a pullet...Speckled Sussex who is a sweetie but not much of a producer and a Blue AM who irritated me because she was so skittish. Ironically I am pretty sure the SS started laying again this week AFTER I made arrangements for her sale but I spent 75.00 at the feed store ( for 3 weeks worth) last week and need to cut down my flock and feed bill.

Anyway,,,it was an emotional chicken day. I know I did right by those boys and that they lived good lives up to this morning but it is hard on the psyche. Still I am proud that I was able and as my daughter said. I now have a marketable skill in the event of the zombie apocalypse.
Good Job!

Four is quite a bit to do for the first time. I like to process two at time. Setup and clean up takes some time--plucking and etc. is not too bad. I do set up what I will need to use.

Enjoy eating them!

I've 4 Black Australorp hens, 1 hen I don't know, will post a pic and see if someone can tell me, and 1 RIR Rooster. Soon to have 10 ducks, 5 KC and 5 WH. Also have 3 beehives

Thanks all for the welcomes!

Hello Honey Maid,
You bet you are welcome as far as my vote goes. Can't wait to see your fowl photos. Once was very invested in bee keeping and bee research at the university. Your reference to the State of Jefferson bowled me over! You bet you are a welcome presence; can't wait to hear more of your animal adventures.
Sincerely,
Neal, the Zooman

Wow- you did this all yourself- I can't tell you how truly impressed I am. I could not do that alone. Hard work and also hard emotionally. Hugs. I know I would be crying my eyes out. We raise they guys from chicks, see them grow, develop personalities, and grow attachments- heartbreaking when the time comes.

Last time, we processed 15 large cockerels and a few adult RIR at one time... by plucking by the 5th cockerel, I was so exhausted holding all that weight suspended messed up my shoulder for a few weeks afterward. Plucking chickens is a tough job!

We now use one of those auto pluckers with the fingers. They work really, really well, and save wear on your body. Just make sure the chickens to be processed are not little/ tender skinned, or it will tear apart the skin, and tear the wings off. (Even if you put in many tiny little ones in, it is still rough on them.)

Wow- you did this all yourself- I can't tell you how truly impressed I am. I could not do that alone. Hard work and also hard emotionally. Hugs. I know I would be crying my eyes out. We raise they guys from chicks, see them grow, develop personalities, and grow attachments- heartbreaking when the time comes.

Last time, we processed 15 large cockerels and a few adult RIR at one time... by plucking by the 5th cockerel, I was so exhausted holding all that weight suspended messed up my shoulder for a few weeks afterward. Plucking chickens is a tough job!

We now use one of those auto pluckers with the fingers. They work really, really well, and save wear on your body. Just make sure the chickens to be processed are not little/ tender skinned, or it will tear apart the skin, and tear the wings off. (Even if you put in many tiny little ones in, it is still rough on them.)
Thanks...I feels good to know I can do it all but glad it will be another 4 or so months before I have to do it again...Maybe my hatches from Dec and Jan will al be pullets so I won't have to
big_smile.png
. These were a broody raised group and as soon as I could ID sex I knew they would be meals so I distanced myself from them. They lived in a pen separate from the rest of my flock, but got to interact with the rest as much as my established roosters would let them during free ranging.

I have two cockerels right now who should be moved to the dinner pen but my daughter tamed them with meal worms and they are loves. I just can't. I am keeping one and selling the other as part of a Homesteaders Special that I am planning to offer on CL.

My friend who I have processed with before has a plucker. It's a great thing. The first time we used it it had some issues with tearing up the birds but he made adjustments and it works great now.

Again, Thanks. I know you all get it and I appreciate the support.

Good Job!

Four is quite a bit to do for the first time. I like to process two at time. Setup and clean up takes some time--plucking and etc. is not too bad. I do set up what I will need to use.

Enjoy eating them!
Thanks...yeah I felt like 4 was a bit much too but now I am DONE! I can give their pen a thorough cleaning and move some birds around. I do think I will be faster next time.

Anyone else from the State of Jefferson?
Welcome to the thread! I have to admit that until recently, I had no idea what this meant. Our best friends live on the Placerville/Camino border and are getting involved with this movement. We are thinking about retiring to that area so of course it is very interesting to us.

Back
Top Bottom