California - Northern

I have heard that Welsummers will take a long time to start laying if they do not start before winter. They must be very sensitive to light levels.

She should start soon since we are getting close to the perfect number of day light hours for egg laying.

"Tilly's Nest" website has an article on how/why the new avian flu is spreading and how they mutate -- she's a nurse and is always on top of medical issues re: chickens.

My intention is not to make money; rather just not lose too much.  I view my flock as my pet.  But no one bird would be considered so.
"The good of the many outweighs the good of the few."

I have saved gobbbs of money since i started buying bulk whole grain wheat,corn,oats,peas,millet,flax,lentil from azure standard. Boss from Walmart. I mix it and store it in the garage and ferment three gallons on the kitchen counter. I still give organic pellet case they need a little more... i dont ferment the pellet though , just sprinkke it dry daily.

I have saved gobbbs of money since i started buying bulk whole grain wheat,corn,oats,peas,millet,flax,lentil from azure standard. Boss from Walmart. I mix it and store it in the garage and ferment three gallons on the kitchen counter. I still give organic pellet case they need a little more... i dont ferment the pellet though , just sprinkke it dry daily.

Azure now has a drop in Davis, where I work. Driving to Vacaville for a drop was just too far. When I checked, th 50# bag of chicken wheat had gone up to a crazy cost. What are you getting that is better priced? If it cost me $30.65 to buy chicken wheat, I might as well go ahead and buy the layer for Big Sky no soy, organic for $32.30.

I can also get 40# bags of GMO free non sou feed from Bar ale for about $18.00 a bag.

Did the prices from Azure recently go up? I thought I was getting organic chicken wheat for about $14.00 last year.

I've got my husband's phone, so I'll post the pics he took at the show.

Can you inform me a little more about this? Where do you buy? Do you have a recipe?

Thanks Ron,

I'm just trying to be reassuring to people who are concerned about how long it is taking for the hens to lay.

… not that this is very reassuring until I actually can report about it happening!

Quote:
My Welsummers start laying in the 24-34 week range. I did have 1 pullet hold out for 11 months, she laid for a month and then went broody.

Back
Top Bottom