California - Northern

More Advice needed re my two broodies that need chicks

So I have found a CL clutch due to hatch on friday. If I were to go there I would buy 2 of her CL pullets and 4 or so other chicks from the feed store. I would prefer to not go the feed store route but I want 3 or 4 chicks per broody and at 25.00 each 2 CCL pullets are all I choose to afford...Where I live it will be hard to resell them for what they will be worth when they are older..

I have also found a woman in Ft Bragg who has Blue Isbars and some Isbar mixes but those babies are already 5 and 6 days old. Philosophically I would rather go with her but I am worried that the chics will be too old to successfully graft them . I might not pick them up for another 3 days.

I can't do both in one weekend. For one set I travel South and for the other North West. Both trips between 1.5 and 2 hours one way.

I am leaning toward the younger chicks because CL are on my list to add this year and Isbar are not also because they will be more likely to graft successfully which is the entire point of getting chicks in the first place.

The problem I have with the new requirements is that many people have already cut back significantly over the last few years and now they are being told to cut back even more. There does come a point where you really can't cut back any more and stay healthy. It seems more reasonable to allot a certain number of gallons per household or person.

In the past that is what happened. In 2008 is was 100G/day per person where I am. Last year up in Clearlake (I think it was Clearlake anyway) it was 37G/day per person, and that was considered EXTREME (but they were having to truck in all their water). They'll say "everyone should cut back 25%", but if you look at the fine print it will say something like "those with usage below X gallons a day are exempt from fines").

Quote: See...how can they expect you to cut back another 25%??

Quote: I think 2 months would be plenty

Quote: I suspect that may be the case here.... They can't really give a withdrawal period for something they told you not even to use....

More Advice needed re my two broodies that need chicks

So I have found a CL clutch due to hatch on friday. If I were to go there I would buy 2 of her CL pullets and 4 or so other chicks from the feed store. I would prefer to not go the feed store route but I want 3 or 4 chicks per broody and at 25.00 each 2 CCL pullets are all I choose to afford...Where I live it will be hard to resell them for what they will be worth when they are older..

I have also found a woman in Ft Bragg who has Blue Isbars and some Isbar mixes but those babies are already 5 and 6 days old. Philosophically I would rather go with her but I am worried that the chics will be too old to successfully graft them . I might not pick them up for another 3 days.

I can't do both in one weekend. For one set I travel South and for the other North West. Both trips between 1.5 and 2 hours one way.

I am leaning toward the younger chicks because CL are on my list to add this year and Isbar are not also because they will be more likely to graft successfully which is the entire point of getting chicks in the first place.

I think I would go with the younger chicks since they are already on your list. A second trip to get something you are not really looking for seems silly.

There is a vet school student that suggested two months was long enough, and my vet says one month.

-Kathy

So your vet and vet student know more than the FDA?

Good Question!

Thanks!

A lot of things have a long withdrawl because they are off label for chickens. There are also the Organic rules--can't sell them after use as organic ever.
Baytil has been a drug used for poultry for a long time. This is not the case of it being an off label use. This doesn't have anything to do with organic.

I'm only going to say this for people's information. I'm not going to argue about it, but people need to be informed.
The FDA doesn't ban drugs on a whim. It takes time and research for them to make a ruling on something like this.
Baytril has been used for poultry for a very long time. It has been a common antibiotic prescribed for poultry. They discovered that it's use was causing antibiotic resistance in humans. READ THE ARTICLE IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME.

That means that if you eat eggs or meat from a chicken that has been given Baytril, you may be resistant to some antibiotics. Seriously, you could have an illness or injury and the treatment won't work, because you chose to eat eggs or meat treated with Baytril.
You die or get seriously ill because someone on BYC said something was ok, when it wasn't.
Is it worth it to risk that? For a chicken? When there are other antibiotics that you could use, that aren't banned?

So your vet and vet student know more than the FDA?

Baytil has been a drug used for poultry for a long time. This is not the case of it being an off label use. This doesn't have anything to do with organic.

I'm only going to say this for people's information. I'm not going to argue about it, but people need to be informed.
The FDA doesn't ban drugs on a whim. It takes time and research for them to make a ruling on something like this.
Baytril has been used for poultry for a very long time. It has been a common antibiotic prescribed for poultry. They discovered that it's use was causing antibiotic resistance in humans. READ THE ARTICLE IF YOU DON'T BELIEVE ME.

That means that if you eat eggs or meat from a chicken that has been given Baytril, you may be resistant to some antibiotics. Seriously, you could have an illness or injury and the treatment won't work, because you chose to eat eggs or meat treated with Baytril.
You die or get seriously ill because someone on BYC said something was ok, when it wasn't.
Is it worth it to risk that? For a chicken? When there are other antibiotics that you could use, that aren't banned?
Hi Kim,

I read the article. It says that the resistant organism, if they were present in the chicken, could be transferred to humans if they ate the eggs or meat. It will not make a human resistant.

What the FDA is worried about is the creation of SARS type super bugs that will not be able to be treated with anti biotics.

That said, I do not and will not give my chickens anti biotics--because all anti biotics can create super bugs.

Thank you for bringing up this topic! It is very helpful.

Quote:
Most of the antibiotics available, *especially* those at feed stores, will not work on many of the bacteria I have had in my flock, so Baytril is what *I* choose to use if I want to save the life of my pet.
big_smile.png
On top of that, most of the stuff they sell in the stores is powder for water, which ain't gonna work if they aren't drinking enough, or injectables for cattle that can cause *serious* injection site necrosis.

I don't sell eggs, but I do sell meat ducks. Any duck that gets Baytril becomes a pet and will never be sold for meat or even as a pet.

-Kathy

Hi Kim,

I read the article. It says that the resistant organism, if they were present in the chicken, could be transferred to humans if they ate the eggs or meat. It will not make a human resistant.

What the FDA is worried about is the creation of SARS type super bugs that will not be able to be treated with anti biotics.

That said, I do not and will not give my chickens anti biotics--because all anti biotics can create super bugs.

Thank you for bringing up this topic! It is very helpful.
And isn't that a non-issue if one thoroughly cooks their meat and/or eggs? Not trying to argue, I honestly don't know.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom