California - Northern

Well my hatch isnt going very well after all.

I took 4 out of the bator yesterday 2 of which are doing fine. The silkie seems to have severe splayed leg and one Delaware cant stand well either.

I have 4 still in the bator 2 dels and 2 pitas that I had to help out. They are all sticky chicks and one of the dels does not look good and the other doesnt seem to be able to stand

None of them have fluffed fully yet I think because the inner membrane so heavily coated their down. I gave the 2 Pitas a bath and got some more membrane off them. they seem to be able to stand fairly well once the get active.

Any suggestions on helping the sticky chicks

I was periodically finding them glued to the bator floor on their backs or sides. So I added a warm wet cloth to the place them on last night and it seemed to help a bit. Gave the pitas a bath this morning and Im thinking of making water bottle beds for them and leaving them in the incubator a bit longer.

Well my hatch isnt going very well after all.

I took 4 out of the bator yesterday 2 of which are doing fine. The silkie seems to have severe splayed leg and one Delaware cant stand well either.

I have 4 still in the bator 2 dels and 2 pitas that I had to help out. They are all sticky chicks and one of the dels does not look good and the other doesnt seem to be able to stand

None of them have fluffed fully yet I think because the inner membrane so heavily coated their down. I gave the 2 Pitas a bath and got some more membrane off them. they seem to be able to stand fairly well once the get active.

Any suggestions on helping the sticky chicks

I was periodically finding them glued to the bator floor on their backs or sides. So I added a warm wet cloth to the place them on last night and it seemed to help a bit. Gave the pitas a bath this morning and Im thinking of making water bottle beds for them and leaving them in the incubator a bit longer.
Wash them in warm sudsy water and then dry them with a blow dryer. They love blow dryers! Not too hot of course.

Most of the time, the cause of sticky chicks is temps too low on average. Get a Brinsea spot check--your incubator is likely two degrees too low.

Wash them in warm sudsy water and then dry them with a blow dryer. They love blow dryers! Not too hot of course.

Most of the time, the cause of sticky chicks is temps too low on average. Get a Brinsea spot check--your incubator is likely two degrees too low.
I put the 2 back in the bator in water bottle beds

My light sleeper husband prefers the quails crow over the roosters. OEGB's are great little birds, they just don't believe they are chickens. Much easier to handle them flying at you rather than an 8 pound wyandotte!
lol!
big_smile.png

What is a water bottle bed
You cut the top 3rd or so off of a 16 oz water bottle put a paper towel or something in side for the chick to sit on so its not slick inside then with the cap off put place the chick inside and tape over the back side so the chick cannot back out. (or place or tape it so the back is against a wall. The chick can push its head through the open part if it needs food or water. Should help the chick stay upright and deal with splayed legs. Especially day olds. I saw it on FB i think

Hey all, hello!  I have a friend who lives in Eureka, now THAT's northern California!  He makes fun of me when I say I live in northern California (20miles east of Sacramento) because HE's in the north, lol.  I would have to say that anything south of Sacramento and north of the grapevine is in the central valley.  It's all good!

I live in Del Norte, anything south of Chico is not northern CA

Back
Top Bottom