California - Northern

ah, my bad. in that regards I agree.

Ryn.
It is probably a lot different there than in my imagination...I think we need pictures! @Missusg worthless.gif

Hello from Mendocino - I am in need of help identifying a plant please. Today I let my 3 month old girls free range for the first time here in the redwood forest and they all made a b-line for this ground cover plant with tiny yellow flowers. They are nuts over it. I was able to ID the clover and dandelions but have no clue what this is. Can anyone help? I no longer assume things are safe since I've also got tons of foxgloves and bracken ferns on the prop as well so super paranoid that everything is poisonous!
DSC_7467.jpg

Hello from Mendocino - I am in need of help identifying a plant please. Today I let my 3 month old girls free range for the first time here in the redwood forest and they all made a b-line for this ground cover plant with tiny yellow flowers. They are nuts over it. I was able to ID the clover and dandelions but have no clue what this is. Can anyone help? I no longer assume things are safe since I've also got tons of foxgloves and bracken ferns on the prop as well so super paranoid that everything is poisonous! View attachment 1407572
Welcome!

It looks like a type of spurge

https://calphotos.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?enlarge=0000+0000+0505+0015

Thank you!

Thank you... I believe thats in the euphorbia family so that would be poisonous I believe. I will keep them away from it until I can identify with certainty. Thank you for your efforts!
If you get a closer picture without the chickens in it, you can use google image search to see if it can identify the plant for you

Hello from Mendocino - I am in need of help identifying a plant please. Today I let my 3 month old girls free range for the first time here in the redwood forest and they all made a b-line for this ground cover plant with tiny yellow flowers. They are nuts over it. I was able to ID the clover and dandelions but have no clue what this is. Can anyone help? I no longer assume things are safe since I've also got tons of foxgloves and bracken ferns on the prop as well so super paranoid that everything is poisonous! View attachment 1407572
Hi. Pretty sure those are clover flowers. I have the same thing here (low hop, as sawilliams said). My chickens range the yard every day and I have never had a problem with them eating things that are toxic, including the oleanders that hang over from the neighbors and Ca buckeyes and malva, among many other things that I haven't bothered to identify. You may see them pick at something not good for them, but it seems they are tasting, as they won't eat tomato leaves, even in the height of summer where it's the only green thing around.
The chickens of my childhood had acres to roam on and we never once lost any from what they chose to eat. They never bothered mom's foxgloves.:) I think their ability to choose is the key. Chickens that are cooped up may eat something bad out of sheer boredom if it is tossed into their coop, but I trust their instincts when they are out ranging. I think the bigger concerns are man made items, like styrofoams and poisons.
If you really want to make them happy, grow them some kale. They LOVE it!

Hi. Pretty sure those are clover flowers. I have the same thing here (low hop, as sawilliams said). My chickens range the yard every day and I have never had a problem with them eating things that are toxic, including the oleanders that hang over from the neighbors and Ca buckeyes and malva, among many other things that I haven't bothered to identify. You may see them pick at something not good for them, but it seems they are tasting, as they won't eat tomato leaves, even in the height of summer where it's the only green thing around.
The chickens of my childhood had acres to roam on and we never once lost any from what they chose to eat. They never bothered mom's foxgloves.:) I think their ability to choose is the key. Chickens that are cooped up may eat something bad out of sheer boredom if it is tossed into their coop, but I trust their instincts when they are out ranging. I think the bigger concerns are man made items, like styrofoams and poisons.
If you really want to make them happy, grow them some kale. They LOVE it!
Thank you SO much! I will plant some kale this week. They do seem really happy to be out among the natural world.

Back
Top Bottom