california white

Thanks Rachel:) I wish I still needed friends for the lone chick, but it didn't make it:( It looks like I will be waiting until spring when I get the bigger coop built before I add the BA's.... That way I can have this small coop as a big brooder. It worked great when these 20 first arived.

Thanks Rachel:) I wish I still needed friends for the lone chick, but it didn't make it:( It looks like I will be waiting until spring when I get the bigger coop built before I add the BA's.... That way I can have this small coop as a big brooder. It worked great when these 20 first arived.
I'm so sorry.
hugs.gif

I have one. Just give her time and catch her when you can. Peanut is so tame I can just walk up to her, pick her up, and stick a needle in her, she'll complain, but doesn't make a big fuss.
smile.png
She lays eggs so round you can't tell which is the "big end." One problem: she flies and hides her eggs really well. I have to reach through two feet of sharp chicken wire to reach them.

Last edited:
I got 4 CW's to add to my flock for a little variety. So I picked 2 with the most black spots and 2 that are entirely white. I am going to see if the color relates to temperament at all. My thinking being that the ones with more color may favor the calmer parent. Time will tell :)

my 4 california whites are the cutest birds but slow growing and they are extremely flighty. I really like them though. They are the purest white color with no spots. I was really looking forward to the little spots but they sure are pretty pullets.

I have one who thinks she is a Raptor. I have a stray beagle that hangs out on my property and the beagle got too close to my little flock. My white took to wing with her talons out and tried to pounce on the poor beagle.

We call her Jillian cause when my flock is out of their tractor she makes the other hens run and I swear she's cussing them out HA! She is the 2nd youngest in the flock.

Well, the girls are 14 weeks old today. They were checking out the next boxes the other day and two of their combs are starting to pink up. I still am not expecting eggs until the end of July to mid August. I can't post a pic (broke camera) but my girls combs seem rather small compared to what I have seen on other birds. Do they get larger after POL or are mine just an exception to the rule. Their combs are about the same size as my BO was at their age.

The picture I have seen of Cali Whites shows a white bird with almost polka dot like markings. It may just be a drawing?? I am wondering if they are actually spotted or was it just to break up the pics of white rock, wyandottes, leghorns, etc.?

Have any of yall ever had any F2 california whites? CWxCW? I know that would be alot of variations. Im thinking of doing this in the spring and keeping the best black cockerel and cuckoo pullets. The next generation would be sex linked production black. Here s a ?. How many times would i have to breed back to a straight leghorn to call them black or cuckoo leghorns? Forgot to add that im starting out w cali grey over wh leghorn.

Back
Top Bottom