california white

Wow! Are these guys skidish! I thought I was prepared for it after reading about the breed but boy howdy. I always wonder if they are going to beat themselves to death on the cage when I clean it out!

Wow! Are these guys skidish! I thought I was prepared for it after reading about the breed but boy howdy. I always wonder if they are going to beat themselves to death on the cage when I clean it out!

They won't injure themselves when you clean their cage. But, they might huddle in the corner and chirp. I've found that with my babies they calm down when they hear soothing music. They literally freeze and look at you. Also slow movement is crucial around them.

This is a pic of what my CW's look like...or at least that is what I am calling them...they are mutts from a true Leghorn hen and a Dom rooster (who I am beginning to think may be a mutt too!...or maybe he is a CalGrey with a rose comb! People are sometimes not totally honest I have found when it come to "Chicken Trading"!
sad.png
cal_white_chicks.jpg

This photo is from the Cackle Hatchery site...not my exact liddy biddies...but a good representation.

I have one CA White, which I got when she was a few days old. She is incredibly friendly and laid her first egg at 18 weeks. She lays me a white egg almost every single day, and the eggs are getting bigger and bigger. I'm definitely planning on getting more of this breed in my next batch of chickens!

I just got 3 of these and they are my favorite chicks in the brooder now. They are skittish but we just got them and all the babies are skittish. Ours are really nicely patterned. My favorite has a black feather on her wings and a big dark spot beside the wing. I cant wait to see what they turn out to look like.

I have one CW that was rescued, she was wandering around the neighborhood and someone brought her to us, she just started to lay eggs and she's pretty skittish around people but once you get a hold on her she will relax right away.

Back
Top Bottom