Call duck eggs incubation and hatching info needed!

So my shipped call egg was internally pipped for 26 hours. I made the safety hole a little bigger so I could see. There are still some veins. Not a whole bunch but still some. I think he has been working on absorbing the yolk because he has filled up the air cell quite a bit from last night. Now that he has an external pip (made by me) will he try to zip on his own when he's ready??
Yep he will, HOW EXCITING, WOOO HOO

Exciting but I'm a nervous wreck!! He's already so beautiful and loved by us all and he's not even here yet! Especially since he will be a single duckling, he's going to be spoiled! Going to moisten the membranes now...
That's how my little one that is due today, he's a loner, It won't be until next week that he will have some friends..

One externally pipped, and I made a safety hole in another. Both are peeping!!! There are 2 more (I think) that have moving beaks in the air sack but there is no tapping yet. When I was making the safety hole, the shell was reallllyyy hard! I think they will have trouble hatching because of a hard shell. Anything I can do to soften it at this point??? Or will it not be a problem?

Last edited:
One externally pipped, and I made a safety hole in another. Both are peeping!!! There are 2 more (I think) that have moving beaks in the air sack but there is no tapping yet. When I was making the safety hole, the shell was reallllyyy hard! I think they will have trouble hatching because of a hard shell. Anything I can do to soften it at this point??? Or will it not be a problem?

Yes, the shells are extremely hard. Especially when you are trying to make a hole without cracking the rest of the egg. That's normal! That's why they have the egg tooth. Good luck! Hopefully my baby will be out by morning!!

No nothing you can do, just hand tight, they are coming...

1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
I tried to help the first one that pipped because it had been more than 12 hours since it pipped and it hadn't made any progress... When I opened up the place where the pip was, the chick was not peeping, tapping, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't breathing. I am so sad but I put it back in the incubator because miracles can happen. Please pray for the other ones, one has pipped

UPDATE: So there are now 2 eggs that have pipped. We opened up the pipping place more on one of them, and were planning to do a complete hatch tonight, but saw some blood-filled veins in the inner membrane. It is wrapped in a warm, wet paper towel as are the others. I will continue to help it in the morning as well as the other one that has pipped. One is internally pipping. There are two that seem to have stopped developing a while back and one that I'm waiting on to see if it will internally pip.

1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
1f62d.png
I tried to help the first one that pipped because it had been more than 12 hours since it pipped and it hadn't made any progress... When I opened up the place where the pip was, the chick was not peeping, tapping, and I'm pretty sure it wasn't breathing. I am so sad but I put it back in the incubator because miracles can happen. Please pray for the other ones, one has pipped
OH no, poor little guy, where there any veins or anything??

UPDATE: So there are now 2 eggs that have pipped. We opened up the pipping place more on one of them, and were planning to do a complete hatch tonight, but saw some blood-filled veins in the inner membrane. It is wrapped in a warm, wet paper towel as are the others. I will continue to help it in the morning as well as the other one that has pipped. One is internally pipping. There are two that seem to have stopped developing a while back and one that I'm waiting on to see if it will internally pip.
Personally I would get Rid of the wet paper towels..

Back
Top Bottom