Call Ducks Finally Hatched

That sucks. Well okay it doesn't suck, it's great news for you, hehe! I'm going to mark the location of the embryos when I do see development and take a photo of the markings, hopefully that'll give you an idea if they're developing normally or need to be turned.

I would spray at Least once a week, helps avoid sticky issues.. If you have a good candler, you should see them on day 4 REALLY good...  I use my phone, I have a free app called Flashlight..  Works great...

Would you recommend misting them as a whole one time a week or sponging each egg one time a week? I definitely want to try my best and avoid all sticky situations! I only candled the one egg last night and I could CLEARLY see veins as well as his or her little heartbeat! :) What a wonderful site to see!

Last edited:
So, as you know, I have Perdy's first six eggs in the incubator now...

And, she has her other three outside in their coop in her nesting box!
1f60d.png

She's my proud momma!
1f60a.png

Last edited:
Hi, I have 2 Indian Runners (fawn & white). My Q is: can a hen lay 2 eggs per day?

Hi Cyndi, welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif

To answer your question, runners and other good laying breeds lay more than one egg a day fairly often. If the other egg is misshapen or has some other deformity than you may have reason to worry, but otherwise I think you're fine. :) And congratulations! I'm assuming you want to hatch them?

To Amykins: thanks for the welcome & for answering my Q.
Yes, the 2nd egg is light green & pointy on one end. I have two runners, one I assumed was a drake for a few reasons (research) & one a hen, for the same reasons. I have been getting one egg per day for 5 months but, for the past week I have been getting 2 eggs.
I have palpated each duck at bedtime and can feel an egg in the (assumed) female & I am not feeling any egg in the (assumed) drake!
The duck I think is the hen did get mauled by a neighborhood dog, but has recovered well after my care to her.
WHY DO I NEED TO WORRY ABOUT THE MIS-SHAPED & COLOR OF THE 2ND EGG.?
Thanks again

Amykins: yes, I would love to hatch them if I do have a drake! My husband bought me an incubator. What temp & care do I need? I will research this, but any tips are welcome!
Thanks

Last edited:
Amykins: yes, I would love to hatch them if I do have a drake! My husband bought me an incubator. What temp & care do I need? I will research this, but any tips are welcome!
Thanks

A misshapen egg just means there's a risk of becoming egg bound. Some hens as they get older will start laying wonky eggs that are more susceptible to getting stuck. If she's just laying two eggs a day that's not bad, she's just very, very productive, hehe! As for hatching, unless you're 100% sure you have a drake and you've seen them mating, then they're probably not fertilized. There's a lot more to hatching eggs than just tossing them in an incubator and hoping for the best!

Do you have photos of your ducks? How old are they and what breed? If they're both old enough to be laying eggs you should certainly be able to tell their gender.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom