choc ancona call.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 3
  • lilac call.jpg
    lilac call.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 3
  • lilac call2.jpg
    lilac call2.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 5
Rather than start a new thread im going to resurrect this one! I just set 6 *hopefully fertile* call eggs in my hovabator yesterday. The temp this morning was a beautiful 101.6 (still air) and the humidity was a little high at 48% but dropped to 35% when i turned them. Im going to aim for 30-40%. Really hoping this goes well, would've put in more but my girls aren't religious about laying!

Rather than start a new thread im going to resurrect this one! I just set 6 *hopefully fertile* call eggs in my hovabator yesterday. The temp this morning was a beautiful 101.6 (still air) and the humidity was a little high at 48% but dropped to 35% when i turned them. Im going to aim for 30-40%. Really hoping this goes well, would've put in more but my girls aren't religious about laying!
So your trying out the Call Duck Challenge, LOL, I have 25 eggs in my bator all due on Feb.23, I had to set my humidity 55% only because I have been having a sticky issue lately. I usually do the dry method which is setting the humidity at 20% but because of all the losses I was having, I UPED the Humidity. I beleive it has something to do with the cold weather and the fact that I have a space heater in my room. SO far with the humidity set at 55% things are looking good. I started out with 33 eggs and all of these were shipped to me so to be on day 18 and still have 25 babies growing strong, I will be EXTREMELY happy with the end results no matter what it maybe..

So your trying out the Call Duck Challenge, LOL, I have 25 eggs in my bator all due on Feb.23, I had to set my humidity 55% only because I have been having a sticky issue lately. I usually do the dry method which is setting the humidity at 20% but because of all the losses I was having, I UPED the Humidity. I beleive it has something to do with the cold weather and the fact that I have a space heater in my room. SO far with the humidity set at 55% things are looking good. I started out with 33 eggs and all of these were shipped to me so to be on day 18 and still have 25 babies growing strong, I will be EXTREMELY happy with the end results no matter what it maybe..

I ended up setting two more eggs my girls so conveniently decided to pop out, so those two will be a little behind but im not worried. I believe the first four or five i collected werent fertile as i had *just* gotten my drakes at that time, HOWEVER, things are looking very promising for the other three!

See for yourself!
IMG_8218.JPG

I have 12 baby calls, about a month old. One (Dory) was a runt from the get go.
They, as you know, grow fast! Well she's now less than half the size of everyone else.
They all are getting most of their feathers like normal.....Here's the puzzler..she has no feathers! Still just a fuzz ball.

Her in the beginning

She's lively and eats and drinks fine. Just stunted for some reason.
Any thoughts??
I haven't been on in forever and just wanted to give a little update on our "Dory". She is fine, feathered and doing well. She stayed smaller than the others but has no issues.
dory adult (2).png

I'm so jealous mine are on day 11 in the incubator. Your babies are too cute. Any pointers for hatch day for us newbies?
Well be prepared, Candle them 4 days before and again 3 days before due date as soon as you see the air cell dipping, LOCK THEM UP. they may dip the 5th day before due date..so you may want to candle them each day on the last week before hatching..

I didn't pay attention to the dipping of the air cell so I beleive thats where some of my problems may have occurred because I didn't lock them down when they were ready...So therefore they struggled..

I just stuck with 3 days before due date rule well with ducks you kind of got to go by there schedule and when they are ready, they are ready.. So look for the dipping of the air cell..
I had my humidity up to 70 75 on lockdown. On due date I did make each remaining ones a Safe hole.

Calls ducks have such problems because of there little beaks and small necks. But when they come out and fluff up, makes you wander, how the hell did you fit in the egg. LOL..

I still beat myself for not being there for the one that zipped...But when it's 2 in the morning and you have to get up to go to work. just can't always do it..

Also listen for the peeping, try to locate it, one of mine the one with the most yellow on his beak, I could hear him at the wrong end that's how I knew he was upside down and going to need help..

THERE ONE VERY IMPORTANT THING:: THIS IS THE TOP PRIORITY: THEY ARE MESSY. don't be surprise if they follow you around when they are young but as soon as they are outside permanently, they are scared to death of you.... Don't let them swim the first week they are born, they can drown if not watched. Mommy ducks put an oil on baby ducks and since we don't have that capabilty, they need to wait and produce there own..

GOOD LUCK and I hope some of this helps...

Back
Top Bottom