Calling all BYC'ers in SOUTH AFRICA :)

Hey you guys(Ladies)!
big_smile.png

I'm also from the Diving town
tongue.png

My parents had had Lhomans (Hyline) when I was a child and I made the decision last year to get myself some
ya.gif

I've got them in a pen with PCV coated wire (Galvanized wire would have been first prize but its very expensive), and gumpole supports. Termites haven't been a problem so far. BUT the monkeys have and regularly try to steal eggs and sometimes succeed.
somad.gif

I have a sizable flock of Hylines now, and supply eggs to Fresh Cafe in Umkomaas.
cool.png

I am planning of breeding out some crosses and selling/giving them away to encourage more people to keep chickens and thus save money on eggs.
yesss.gif

And in December I purchased 3 baby "Silkies" from a Fellow in Craigyburn... and well... not real 'Silkies.. they're mixed with I don't know what!

OH WOW and here i thought we were in the bundoos compared to everyone else. hahaha
Beautiful babies!!! Where did you get your red Hylines from? I am wanting 3 pullets and found someone in Camperdown but thats like a drive that requires a passport. (haha)
I have gone the PVC coop way (seeing as the boss is a sparky we kinda have a supply of PVC conduit already and millions of cable ties!) lol Got the whole frame ready and just awaiting my correx (im cheating) board to make a fake house and then the wire. Im most worried about the monkeys but then I am also part of the Monkey Rehab group in town so I am pro monkeys so long as they dont nick my eggs or kill the chickens. Keeping a tally on what is used so that if need be can make up kits for people as I too want many more people to join the backyward chicken brigade.
Most impressed with the son. Hes 3... and he saw the pvc pen in the making and said Look Mom a chicken pen! How they hell he knew what it was is anyones guess..... maybe seeing me trawling this site for ideas told him. hahaha

Can you tell me how i can get the monkey to be supported elsewhere?
gig.gif
One all but attacked my mom when she was collecting eggs the other day.
sad.png
They're a serious nuisance and a danger to my property and family. Hate them.

But on a less intense note, I got the Hylines from Tongaat
smile.png
i can't remember the name of the place, but they said the 30 I bought was their smallest sale ever! They only really do large orders. I'll look through my reciepts for the number of a guy who does do point of lay hens in small numbers
hmm.png
. I think his name is Ashook. I'll let you know if i find it.

You can usually pick up chicks at the Illovo Nursery. They have Koekoeks and Silkies at the moment.at R60-R80.

i used to hate them too until I became friends with the local monkey lady and i learnt more about them. They are pretty harmless and so long as treated with respect they are fine and actually fun to watch. My 3 yr old isnt a threat to them and often chases them around the garden. They are creatures of habit though so going out to collect eggs when they are around wont work as they know you are afraid of them. just carry a broom or have a hosepipe ready and they will soon get the message. Unfortunately its winter and food is scarce for them at the moment so they are pretty desperate to get to anything edible. They have their place as wild animals and are often persecuted by humans who make them what they are. As with everything being "one" and knowing them helps.
i just had to take a photo of my son and the partly built coop....

I know Illovo has babies... not wanting silkies or Koekkoeks though. I want Rhode Island Reds or the red Hylines. ;o) Might just stay with the lady I found in Camperdown. Might be a lovely trip over the weekend to take with Jnr and daddy.

That coop looks AMAZING
thumbsup.gif

I think I'll have to copy you for future coops!
Cute kid too
tongue.png

The nursery pet shop said that they would have Rhode Island Red chicks in the next month (they said 3 weeks but you never know what day the chicks will get there).
As far as the Hylines go, I'm sure a trip up will be very pleasant on the right way (weather wise)
clap.gif

And when I get home this evening I'll try remember to look for Ashook's number for you in any case.

Last edited:
I know Illovo has babies... not wanting silkies or Koekkoeks though. I want Rhode Island Reds or the red Hylines. ;o) Might just stay with the lady I found in Camperdown. Might be a lovely trip over the weekend to take with Jnr and daddy.
I couldn't find Ashook's number. If you don't mind me asking, what price are you getting the hylines for? I may be interested in getting a few more
tongue.png

Back
Top Bottom