Calling all experienced caponizers!

It's frustrating to have trolls come into threads like this. Folks who don't approve of meat birds just shouldn't come into this section.
Personally I feel that shipping live chicks is cruel. That's days of stress and distress and many die from it. That's trauma as a birds first experience at human hands. But I'm not going to go mess up hatchery threads about it. It's futile and the people who buy shipped chicks are able to make up their own minds-- they have different priorities and circumstances, and they're the ones with their actual hands on the actual birds. If they feel ok with it, and if they're raising the birds well otherwise, then almost anything else I do in the world to reduce suffering is going to have more of an impact.

I'm pretty interested in caponizing, I read through that other thread with fascination. It seems like it'd be a great tool for self sufficiency since it takes so much pressure off the processing timeline. I keep coming into this thread hoping to see useful info but noooooope. :/

There’s a Spanish saying “A capar se aprende capando.” It means that one learns to caponize by doing it. It could also apply to castrating other livestock i.e. pigs.

I think it’s best with a teacher. It’s got a steep learning curve. The problem is that very few people developed the skill since around 1950 in the US, so there are few experienced caponizers who can teach. There are in some distant foreign countries including France, Spain, China, Vietnam.

I don’t think it’s acceptable to grind up baby chicks just because they’re male. The hatcheries try to save some. That’s why the “packing peanuts” in an order during cold or cool weather are usually male.
It's frustrating to have trolls come into threads like this. Folks who don't approve of meat birds just shouldn't come into this section.
Personally I feel that shipping live chicks is cruel. That's days of stress and distress and many die from it. That's trauma as a birds first experience at human hands. But I'm not going to go mess up hatchery threads about it. It's futile and the people who buy shipped chicks are able to make up their own minds-- they have different priorities and circumstances, and they're the ones with their actual hands on the actual birds. If they feel ok with it, and if they're raising the birds well otherwise, then almost anything else I do in the world to reduce suffering is going to have more of an impact.

I'm pretty interested in caponizing, I read through that other thread with fascination. It seems like it'd be a great tool for self sufficiency since it takes so much pressure off the processing timeline. I keep coming into this thread hoping to see useful info but noooooope. :/

Im also interested in learning how to caponize. Have watched several instructional videos and definitely will execute this plan. Yes I may loose a bird but bet i learn something valuable.

I have also been disappointed that others want to ruine this thread because they dont believe in it. I'm soooooo sick of others trying to bestow their beliefs onto others who obviously have other ideas.

They are hoping to get the thread shut down by starting an argument or just want to troll because they are butt hurt about how others do biz on their own farm.

Lol I like your analogy about sending chicks in the mail as being cruel and it probably is. Farming livestock is and always be cruel to some people.

The trolls have probably scared some experienced caponizers from posting here.

Neither.
I open all threads. I pick up things from most threads. I don't just click on threads that specifically have my name on.

I noticed people seemed to like the word troll. These aren't people here with the intent of making trouble.

I stick to my thought that caponization is sick and unnecessary.
But I shouldn't have gotten involved.

Good day to you all.

Yeah if there's any kind of a market, even doing a handful a year for sale could really improve the margins on one's backyard flock. Layers and chicks sell well but the volume one has to work with to see a worthwhile return is pretty intimidating, and really need a big investment in either incubation capacity & /or grow out space.

It’s not that I don’t approve of meat birds. It’s the fact that I don’t approve of extra unnecessary suffering.

Back
Top Bottom