Determining sex for caponizing (and other questions)

Kevinsl06

Chirping
Aug 6, 2021
We have been researching caponizing our extra roos for meat birds. I am trying to determine:

1. What age to caponize them at? I was thinking around week 7 from what I've read. Will we need to stitch or superglue at this age?

2. How can I sex them at 7 weeks? I haven't been at this very long and not sure I can accurately do that. I've read a lot but am still not sure. The ones I want to do are about 5 weeks right now and mixed flock.

3. Anyone know where I might find a board similar to the one used in this video?

4. I've seen mixed info about whether or not these birds will produce more meat when processed. What is your actual experience with that? I'm thinking I wouldn't process until around 25 weeks and some later. We prefer to do a few at a time as needed.

5. Will two established roosters and a flock of 20+ hens accept capons in their flock or will they need a separate pen?

Thanks!

2. How can I sex them at 7 weeks? I haven't been at this very long and not sure I can accurately do that. I've read a lot but am still not sure. The ones I want to do are about 5 weeks right now and mixed flock.
I don't caponize so this is the only question I'll address. Sexing them is something you get better at with practice. There is some science to it but also part art. Most of them aren't that hard to sex at five weeks but I've had one I wasn't totally sure of at 4 months. I thought he was a pullet but was wrong. I find it easier it they are single combed, don't have weird feathers, and don't have weird things growing out of their bodies.

You say you've read a lot but still not sure. Nothing unusual about that. I'll include a link that gives the best write-up I've seen but even they will tell you it isn't always easy.

How to sex chicks

http://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=48329

I don't know how many you have but I'd suggest you post photos on here so we can help you. At five weeks we should be able to help. For each chick post two photos, one showing the head so we can see the comb and wattles. For the other a profile shot showing legs, posture, and profile. Five weeks is too early for saddle or hackle feathers to tell us much.

Comb and especially wattle development and color are big clues. A male tends to have heavier legs and a more upright posture than the girls but if you can, tell us breed. These things can vary by breed. Body shape can be a clue to. I'll try to tell you why I'm guessing what I am with sex, that might help you learn.

Back
Top Bottom