Calling all fish owners! Is this Tetra going to lay eggs? Edit: Solved

@HappyClucker7, these are the best photos I could get from the top. The camera was having a hard time focusing through the glass. I don't see any pinecone scales though, you can kind of see in the photos, but all of her scales are flat.
View attachment 3117644
View attachment 3117647
Your plant looks like an amazon sword...they dont do good planted its why the leaves are dying just so you know if you want baby fish id get guppies they breed and tend not to eat their babies my tank is 20g long aswell i have a male betta and guppies in it the other tank has female bettas and swordtails, heres my tank the little specks in my tank are guppy fry
20220521_182656.jpg

Your plant looks like an amazon sword...they dont do good planted its why the leaves are dying just so you know if you want baby fish id get guppies they breed and tend not to eat their babies my tank is 20g long aswell i have a male betta and guppies in it the other tank has female bettas and swordtails, heres my tank the little specks in my tank are guppy fry
View attachment 3117669
I figured. Those were in the tank when I purchased it from the Craigslist person, so I've been trying to milk them along. They seem to do better when I remember to add root tabs, though they are bearly making it.
I didn't actually plan to have baby fish, but when I noticed it looked like she was carrying eggs I figured I'd put the research in and see if it was something I wanted to try. Your tank looks awesome!

I figured. Those were in the tank when I purchased it from the Craigslist person, so I've been trying to milk them along. They seem to do better when I remember to add root tabs, though they are bearly making it.
I didn't actually plan to have baby fish, but when I noticed it looked like she was carrying eggs I figured I'd put the research in and see if it was something I wanted to try. Your tank looks awesome!
I have a hard time keeping plants alive except apparently java moss its in all my tanks lol

Interesting. If they have places to hide, the other fish wont eat them? I feel like it would be a neat experience to raise them if it isn't to difficult, though I don't want to bite off more than I can chew.

I have an under gravel filter. I'm not sure which one that would categorize in. :p
I think it's considered a semi biofilter cause there's no additives to it.

When she does have babies they just need a semi dense vegetation area to stay safe from the other fish in the tank.

You probably shouldn't do any filter cleaning if you have babies in the tank for a while.

You can do a weekly 10% water change to keep the ammonia levels in check. If you have live plants in the tank they will absorb the rest of the dissolved bio matter.

Most tetra eggs are actually fertilized AFTER the eggs are laid. The males would have to be present usually when she lays the eggs. You could try breeding mops. The fish lay and fertilize the eggs in the mop and it protects the eggs until they hatch. But most offspring would be eaten anyway most likely. Really not worth it unless you are trying to breed intentionally.

Parasites and disease can also cause bloating.

Under-gravel filters are really the least effective filtering system for aquariums and just about anything is better. But high ammonia could have to do with over stocking. I missed how many fish you have on what size tank.

Most of the time the biggest issue with growing aquatic plants is that most standard tank lighting will not be sufficient.

I think it's considered a semi biofilter cause there's no additives to it.

When she does have babies they just need a semi dense vegetation area to stay safe from the other fish in the tank.

You probably shouldn't do any filter cleaning if you have babies in the tank for a while.

You can do a weekly 10% water change to keep the ammonia levels in check. If you have live plants in the tank they will absorb the rest of the dissolved bio matter.
Thats cool, I'll give it a try! Worst case scenario the fish find all the eggs and eat them before they hatch. I'll get some more live plants next week, and order some stuff too.

Also, would something like this work? :idunnoIf she laid her eggs in here, would it help protect them from the other fish? I could either place her in there within the fish tank and let her spawn, or I could place it low enough so that she could swim in and lay her eggs there if she wanted? Either way I would surround it with lots of live and fake plants. Not sure if its good or not, just something I came across on Amazon, figured I'd ask.
https://www.amazon.com/XMHF-Nylon-H...jbGlja1JlZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ==

You said you have gouramis? Those buggers will be eating the eggs or fry in an instant. And an under gravel filter does a terrible job of removing ammonia, get an over the tank one. Walmart sells a decent one, I've used their brand for years. I used to have African Cichlids and unintentionally bred them for years. But they are mouth brooders, so it makes it a whole different experience. But when those eggs hatched, I didn't feed the fry anything special, they just ate what was on the bottom or floating around. Right now, I have a 29 gallon with neon tetras, black skirt tetras, zebra danios, red tetras, and a albino clown pleco but I do miss the African Cichlids

Back
Top Bottom