Calling all genetic guru's!!! Harlequin Orpington!!!

laken29

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 7, 2015
I would like to start a project of my own and attempt to produce a large fowl English Orpington as seen in the picture below. I am new to genetics and quite honestly don't understand one bit. I'm looking for guidance in the color combinations required to produce a bird similar. Note not familiar with genetic formulas so if you could respond in colors I would greatly appreciate it:) Thanks in advance!

It looks like a splash to me. I've never heard the term harlequin with chickens. Splash is a result of breeding dilute black birds and there are already black/blue/splash Orps.

I googled this variety of Orpington after looking at them on Feathersite. Laken29, you will need to learn some basic feather color genetics for this one. The United Orpington Club has 2 threads about Harlequin Peckings (bantam Cochins) but they are red based birds. Those red based Harlequins were "accidentally" created by using varieties that don't exist in Orpingtons. Go to the UOC site and get in contact with Jon Alden. Jon may be able to explain how you could make this variety and who may have project birds that you could use.

Harlequin Chick, I am working on this currently.

Back
Top Bottom