calling all IRISH and Irish descendants

Originally Posted by appps

Think half of Australia has probably got Irish in there somewhere lol. All those Irish convicts :)

Yeah I'd say at least half of Australia is Irish!
South Australia is sort of Scottish-er than Irish, but the eastern states? People from the eastern states even sound sort of Irish, with their yez/youse and everything...

Ah... I'm feeling more Irish recently because I've been going to Irish language classes. Normally I just sort of ignore the Irish heritage because we're over 150 years removed from Ireland (mother's side) and only 25 years removed from Scotland (father's side).

I've got to say, though... the language is tough. I can't spell it for beans and they keep telling me my pronunciation's off. ("You sound northern! Say 'aw'! Ay-fada: 'aw'!") Not to mention the verbs conjugate! What sort of Gaelic conjugates its verbs? And all those "bh" and "mh" that are pronounced "w". Huh? What happened to "v"? Ah, well... I suppose I'll get it eventually. I've got something to say to TG4, though, because I can actually understand stuff on their shows... and yet I can't understand my teacher. Like, at all. Or the other students. But I suppose Cork is about a far removed from Scotland in terms of the dialect continuum as you can possibly get.

So I joined the Irish music Monday group, which happens right after the class. So that's fun. Naturally I've played in bush dances as ceilidhs before (you can't be a fiddler and a member of the Scottish community in SA and not play in bush dances and ceilidhs) so the style's familiar. It's fun. And it's also interesting to hear the accents. You can guarantee that the people at the bar listening to the music will have Irish accent. The actual musicians are a pretty mixed bunch. You know, the Irish accent fades? Scottish doesn't. You either have it, or you're Australian. Irish has degrees. And I had no idea there were so many bódhrans in Adelaide...

'S breá liom ceól. (Did I spell that right? 'S breagha leam ceòl.)

Here's a fine shout out from Kentucky, USA. My mother emigrated to Indiana from Ballinasloe, Co. Galway in 1963. My father worked for the airlines and fell in love with the Irish lass at the local travel agency. The family made many visits back and forth. My first trip I was only 6 months old. In the days before car seats, Aer Lingus assigned me an orange crate full of blankets.

My Aunt Keatie, in Derrymullan outside Ballinasloe, always kept a coop for selling eggs. Then she had a pet hen in the garden, in later years usually a production red. Here's a pic of myself with her when I was little.

Then later I would tame a few in my grandmother's yard in Clontuskert as well:

I really cherish these memories. I attribute my current enjoyment of poultry to these trips to visit Irish relations. Thank you from across the pond!

Dia dhuit a chairde.
ta me I m gconai I mbaile atha cliath.
Ta m'athair o chill maintean, agus ta m'aithaer o luimneach.
Ta bron orm, ta mo *spelling* ufaiseach.

hello everyone, greetings from dublin!

agus mise freisin
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom