Calling all lakenvelder owners

Well, I found a Lakenvelder thread! I have a new hatch of baby Goldens that I will be growing out, and was hoping maybe I could meet some other Lakie people here so that later I can find some different birds to add in for variance. How many of us are there in BYC that have them? I am a newcomer to this forum, but not to raising chickens. These are kind of my favorite but it sure is hard to find other breeders in my area! Thank goodness for the internet.

Here are my new babies:

Yes, there is an Americauna baby in there too, I hatched out a batch of those for a friend while I was incubating the Lakies, and one of the peeps was smaller than the others and was getting picked on, so I put it in with the Lakies and it is much happier! This is my first time to have the golden so I am really excited to see how these grow up. :) Oh, and hi everyone, I am Lenna.

Does anyone else's Lakenvelder sit down, back, on its feet often? Not really sure how to word the question. We're new to backyard chickens and have one Lakenvelder among a mixed flock of eight. She is 15 weeks old. A couple nights ago she seemed to be struggling to stay on her feet on the lower roost as she was working on getting up on the top roost. She fell off a few times, would get up on the upper roost and come down, though I'm not sure if she fell or was shoved, as its getting pretty crowded up there. I thought maybe one of her feet or legs might be hurt, but she did eventually make it up and stayed. She seems to walk fine early in the day now but then starts sitting back more than I remember her doing before. I hope I'm imagining thigs but my husband seems to think so, too. So I've begun wondering if they just do that or if I should be concerned. Any comments would be appreciated. Oh she doesn't appear to be limping, now, though that night I thought she may have been.
She will not let me near her, so I'd like to avoid traumatizing her if unnecessary. I know, eventually the time will come when I will need to pick her up, but I've had no luck at all getting our girls to warm up to me. :(

I have one Lakenvelder hen named Salt. She has lived up to her name in every way and has the saltiest attitude of any hen in the flock. She is bossy and tries to intimidate anyone who comes close to her including me and my roommate. She will fluff up her neck feathers and peck you while you are working in the garden just because she feels like it. She also makes a strange strangled crowing sound in the morning demanding to be released from the coop. Despite all her aggressive posturing she is a fun bird to have around. She follows you like a puppy begging for food and I even trained her fly on to my arm on command. I am not sure if what is typical in a Lakenvelder. What type of personality do your Lakenvelder hens have?

Salt being a sassy pants and invading the kitchen

Iwiese: I have not seen my hen sitting back on her feet. Perhaps try a post in the emergencies/illnesses forum as it may be a more general health issue. Good luck.

Getting chickens to warm up to you. Use the same container to put food in their feeder every time. When they see the container they will flock to you! After a while they will know you won't hurt them. Mine still do not like to be touched. That's ok with ;me, I don't want to touch them.

Thanks, Hishigata! Maybe I'll do that. It might (?) be helpful if I also include a photo. She seems to do this later in the day, as if her little legs aren't as strong as those of the other girls. :( I appreciate your suggestion, now to find that forum! lol

DSC_2514.jpg

DSC_2516.jpg

foghorn.jpg

DSC_2496.jpg
Oh My Gosh.

I so want some of Henk's birds! Just gorgeous.

I am getting a trio of LF Lakenvelders from Duane Urch this fall, and am interested in other sources of them, breeders, not hatchery birds. If anyone knows of any, please send me a PM.

Thanks!

Laura

Pathfinders, what is the brown girl with white wings? They look like angel wings on her!!
I'm not clear what you mean. Do you mean the photo I use for my avatar? She's a Cream Light Brown Dutch Bantam, and doesn't have white wings (perhaps you are thinking my shirt is part of her wings?) Confused...

Oh My Gosh.

I so want some of Henk's birds! Just gorgeous.

I am getting a trio of LF Lakenvelders from Duane Urch this fall, and am interested in other sources of them, breeders, not hatchery birds. If anyone knows of any, please send me a PM.

Thanks!

Laura
I would love some of his as well, they are flat out to die for. But I do have goldens and silvers.

Back
Top Bottom