calling any one from missouri

Here is a link to finding the % eclipse totality you will see from your zip code, with a cool graphic demonstrating how it will appear.
Here in SW MO, we will see 95.7%, which to me is a lot, but my DH wants to drive north to experience 100% if we can indeed get there with all the traffic expected.
You can get ISO certified eclipse glasses at Walmart for $1. I'm sure you all know not to try to view it with the naked eye.
https://www.vox.com/science-and-health/2017/7/25/16019892/solar-eclipse-2017-interactive-map

That says 100% for Independence. I'll be in a downtown KC building the windows facing north where we cannot see the sun. No way are they shutting down so we can go outside to watch. Could get lucky and have a break happen at that time. Might pick up some glasses just in case.

Screen Shot 2017-07-25 at 2.39.15 PM.png
That says 100% for Independence. I'll be in a downtown KC building the windows facing north where we cannot see the sun. No way are they shutting down so we can go outside to watch. Could get lucky and have a break happen at that time. Might pick up some glasses just in case.
Some are predicting that the highways will be impassable even a day before..you may not be able to get to work.... They say fill your gas tanks beforehand, and bring water, food, in case you are stranded.
No one really knows, but anywhere along the line will probably be deluged with people converging upon them from all over, driving in, flying in, etc.
Unless it's cloudy....:p

Last edited:
View attachment 1097462
Some are predicting that the highways will be impassable even a day before..you may not be able to get to work.... They say fill your gas tanks beforehand, and bring water, food, in case you are stranded.
No one really knows, but anywhere along the line will probably be deluged with people converging upon them from all over, driving in, flying in, etc.
Unless it's cloudy....:p

We are just a little North of Festus, so we get to see the eclipse for a long time. We have school in session that day, with planned activities (don't know WHAT they are yet, teachers report back August 10th). I just hope it all goes smoothly!! Those tips you gave are great.

@jeria how is your coop coming along? And the new chicks??

We live in West central MO. I just found this sight, looking forward to getting to know everyone! ☺
Welcome to BYC and the MO thread! Are you in the eclipse totality zone? you'll certainly get a large percentage.....

We went to the Ozark Empire Fair today instead of Sat because of heavy rain predicted for tomorrow. So we'll miss the open poultry show, but we got to see the entries for the junior show. Lots of kinds of bantams. I love bantams. In standards, there were cochins, polish, favorelles, phoenix...others too, but no marans.
a crested.jpg

The high point of the day was seeing this sable sanaan dairy goat with a heart on her forehead. (That and getting Pineapple Whip) The low point was when a Haflinger filly kicked the judge and knocked him to the ground. He did get up...I think she got his arm, you could hear the smack. Yikes. This was the halter class, he had walked behind her.
a goat (3 of 1).jpg

Last edited:
We went to the Ozark Empire Fair today instead of Sat because of heavy rain predicted for tomorrow. So we'll miss the open poultry show, but we got to see the entries for the junior show. Lots of kinds of bantams. I love bantams. In standards, there were cochins, polish, favorelles, phoenix...others too, but no marans.
View attachment 1101726
The high point of the day was seeing this sable sanaan dairy goat with a heart on her forehead. (That and getting Pineapple Whip) The low point was when a Haflinger filly kicked the judge and knocked him to the ground. He did get up...I think she got his arm, you could hear the smack. Yikes. This was the halter class, he had walked behind her.
View attachment 1101728
I guess I will miss seeing you, then. We are on our way there now. Who won the junior show, by the way?

Sorry to hear about the judge getting whacked like that... I go kicked once, but to this day, I don't know where I was struck. Head, probably. :p

Back
Top Bottom