calling any one from missouri

Actually, once I ID'd the eggs I remembered collecting one just like them in a hen house yesterday.
Funky pointed, quite a bit smaller than typical eggs, light brown.
I'd remembered them collecting in there the other night when I'd left the door open
So nesting there too - two nests!
woot.gif
woot.gif
Plucked all but 3 of them and put them in a nest box. See if I can convince a hen to brood them. Mine range too and graze all over, but I noticed a couple go missing for extended periods. Lucky me - mine like nest boxes!!!!

I dont mean to butt in here, but I had to mention, this is my first time raising chickens and I still have them in my dinning room they are 4 weeks old now (buff orpington), the coop is not ready or they would be in there now because of all the DUST! I wish I had known it was going to be this dusty!

Hello there! I finally found a Missouri thread! YAY! I live in south central MO, Practically FLW. I started raising chickens because i wanted to be more independent from the grocery stores since my job is no longer "safe" because its a govt job. oh well. Very excited to be on BYC and about this thread!!

No butting too it -
frow.gif
We're neighbors. 11 miles from the front gate of FLW.
Check out Zieginbiens for feed. Just at the lights coming down Frog Hill into Waynesville. 50lb bags of feed cheaper than what Orschelins gets for a 40.

Orps are nice birds. Cackle?

There are a zillion great threads on here on pretty much every subject under the bird sky. Holla if I can help with any area related info.

Hello there! I finally found a Missouri thread! YAY! I live in south central MO, Practically FLW. I started raising chickens because i wanted to be more independent from the grocery stores since my job is no longer "safe" because its a govt job. oh well. Very excited to be on BYC and about this thread!!

Welcome welcome!!! I am 1.5 hrs from FLW. Hubby does a lot of work there. And yes baby chicks are DUSTY!!!

Hi! I will have to remember Ziegenbiens from now on I just bought and opened a bag from Orschelins yesterday. they seem to be more expensive than everyone. I live about 6 miles from the main gate :) for now. someday I will have farm worthy property some where north of the 44.
big_smile.png
Yup I went to Cackle. they were super friendly and nice and I just drove out there and picked the girls up. Do you know if Orps do well here in the heat. I know its a little late to be concerned about them now that I have 16 of them. but I'm wondering anyhow.

And thanks for the Welcome! much appreciated!

Orps are good hearty easy gentle birds. Good broodys too if you let them keep eggs. I've got a few and really like them. From what I've seen, like Cackles stock the best of any of the hatcheries around. Pretty accurate sexing too.

We've had some crazy heat last some years. Shade, plenty of water, vented up top to let humidity out, even better if there's a breeze.

Horrible heat last year, had birds wading in a kiddy pool to keep cool.
Kept freezing milk jugs with water in them to stick in water to help keep water cool - helps cool internal temps. If you see birds layed out with wings spread they're distressed really trying to cool off - couple of times I caged and brought in the house to cool down. It was unmercifly hot tho.

Ziegienbien has 50lb bags of 30% high protien for chicks for like $20. Help them feather and grow out faster. They won't need to eat (or poo) as much eaither. Think O's chick starter is 16-20%(?) and like $17 for 40lbs.

I have banty Polish coming out of my ears. Frizzle and smooth
Silver Sussex
I have the big Dickey incubator full. Seramas, more Polish, Swedish flowers, Sussex, east Indie ducks, and Sebastopol geese

Hello Mo is anyone here breed Silkies and or Showgirls... Am looking for so bearded silkies just want for my pleasure and I want to try to have them brood some chicks next year.....

Just want a few not alot.

I am just south of KC.....

Thanks, Herman

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom