calling any one from missouri

I have three hens that are over one year and moulting for the first time, and they have stopped laying, I know that is normal. I have 8 other hens that were hatched the first of March and had been laying for a couple of months. They have all stopped! 2 weeks and only about 3 eggs! When will this stop? Thanks

To help them through their molt, I have been feeding a 50/50 mix of layer pellets (16% protein) and game/meat bird crumble (22-24% protein), avoiding scratch grains and any other low/no protein treats.

My leghorn took 3 weeks off, as did one of my wyandottes and Easter eggers, and to date, I've only had 1 no egg day... Today I got 4 eggs it of 7 hens... 5 of whom are molting for sure...

Last edited:
Hello my fellow Missourians! I need some advise.
My black orpington decided to go broody exactly 21 days ago today, She started sitting on 1 lonely egg so of course I added a few others under her.
smile.png

The first egg is starting to hatch!
I have never had a broody hatch eggs. I am wondering if I should put medicated chick feed out, because I want to protect my chicks. Will the medicated feed hurt my adult chicks or ducks? (I've heard ducks shouldn't have medicated feed) If medicated feed isn't the way to go, then what are some other recommendations to protect my chicks?

As of right now I am planning on keeping the chicks with mom, and the few other chickens and 2 ducks that are in the pen along w/ them. I think mom will do best keeping the chicks, and I just enjoy seeing a mother do her thing! But if I have to separate I will. Anyone have any advise on raising chicks with their moms? Most all the info I see is on hatching chicks w/ an incubator and raising them separate.
Thanks!

Can't remember about the duck thing so won't offer any advice there but this solution should take care of it in any case.

Hatchlings require higher levels of protien to get thm through early rapid growth. Often with broodies, coccidia is rarely an issue tht requires medicated feed. Immunites with exposure to soil and all I suppose. Medicated feed can interferred with developing natural immunity so unless coccidia becomes an issue you may elect to hold off on it.

Chick feed is more expensive than other feeds and they will have to compete with adults for it. Providing a chick only acessable area to provide chick feed solves a lot of problems. Some will use lattice work or welded wire fencing -anything that serves to let e litle guys in and the big guys beaks outta dah baby food will do.

Enjoy the babies!

I was told not to give ducks medicated food that it would kill them I guess you could call a hatchery, The manager at our Orschlen said one of his helpers feed the ducks medicated food by mistake and it killed all. them so if it was me I would not feed it to the ducks

Not sure about where you guys are, but down in SEMO the weather is crappy! The wife and kids are out of town so I'm going to the shop to build another coop just for the silkies lol. Hopefully I'll have some babies before too long, my roo and one hen are 6 months old, and the other hen is 9 months. They need some private space lol.

It rained here, Lakr Ozark area, this morning but cleared off about 10. Been super nice since!

I too need to build another coop... Actually 5! Lol! You know the 'build it and they will come'? Here it's 'build it because they came!'

Back
Top Bottom