calling any one from missouri

Quote: I killed my first skunk yesterday (I won't give you "how-to" the details). Usually we let them go because of the stink they create when killed, but I lost 5 in a matter of hours so I wasn't in a forgiving mood. I don't think the skunk did it (he was too small) and hubby and I are sitting outside in the evening waiting for it to come back to eat lead instead of chicken (coon, fox, something big that would be able to carry two hens because I haven't found their bodies). Anyway, hubby leaves a 22 for me to use to kill things in traps.
We bought a 2-3 foot piece of rebar to anchor the trap (it sticks up thru the holes in the wire)...keeps the trap in place, and critter can't knock it around trying to escape. Liver should entice a coon. They like eating heads and guts. Cat food is suppose to be a big draw and lots of cat foods have liver in it. Good luck catching your predator.

CG

is it weird i dont think skunks stink that bad? Raccoons really like marshmallows, just put one of your dead chickens in the trap ?

Trap works but all we got last night was Mama cat. My 18 year old daughter throws a temper tantrum over us trying to lock the cats up but she didn't seem worried that the coon could go after the cats. My daughter is as much a pita as the raccoon, maybe more.

is it weird i dont think skunks stink that bad? Raccoons really like marshmallows, just put one of your dead chickens in the trap ?

I read to drown skunks to kill with out stink. Needed to clean out brooder (50 gal plastic box) so filled it with water and put trapped skunk in. The plastic has a slight odor to it from the skunk that airing out for 4 days didn't get rid of (needed brooder for new chicks and couldn't wait any longer for smell to go totally away). Chicks in there now and I hope it doesn't bother them to live with slight musky skunk odor. It isn't BAD - I've driven past road kill skunks that were worse.

CG

I kind of want to go to the arkansas diamond mind. It is just as close for me. Oh I am sure once would be enough for me, I am a homebody but kass likes to go on trips so, trips we go.
I've never been to the Arkansas mine but I had a friend that used to go. His technique made a lot of sense. He would go after a rain. When the sun came out he would sit at the edge of the field with binoculars and look for glittering. They plow the field regularly and the rain washes the dirt off of the gems at the surface which have a film on them.

My brother lives down your way, in Sarcoxie.

I have yet to catch a raccoon with a marshmallow, perhaps I used them on nights the raccoons weren't around. My best luck has come with canned mackerel, it's cheap and stinky.

Back
Top Bottom