calling any one from missouri

I have the bucket mounted under the lean too side of coop. the bucket on top is my pvc feeder. ( this picture was taken before the outside waterer but is under the window)

I keep a lid on to keep debris out

a piece window screen held down by a big nut to stop little stuff from going down the pipes

All the pipes are 3/4". I didn't even glue them together. they are tight enough that they don't leak. One goes into the coop one goes under.

The one under the coop is just attached to the wire with some u-bolts attached to some wood blocks screed to the wire. I cut a piece of 4"pvc pipe in half to catch the water that gets dripped when the drink.

And here is the one inside

Again mounted with u-bolts. I put a bock of wood behind it to hold it away from the wall. To attach the u-bolts I just held the bolts where I wanted them. tapped with a hammer to mark it, and drilled a hole as close to the size of them, and pushed them in. no nuts on them. Looks like its time to clean the 4"PVC again

Last edited:
hello from NW Mo.... we just started this adventure with chickens and it's been fun. Started with 25 PR pullets from good ole Orchlen's, We ended up loosing one chick on the 3rd day, and 7 of my pullets magically turned into cockerels, so we sent 7 to freezer heaven. We're in the process of trying to find our own plot of land, but were lucky enough to have a friend allow us to use some of his until we find a place and only charging rent in a dozen eggs once every few weeks. We got our first egg Sunday and then nothing. I've been watching them as much as i can but at 17 weeks I don't think they're quite ready and it was a lucky double yolk er surprise. But anyways
frow.gif

I started them on 18% medicated, and they've been on 22% since 8 weeks old, i added free choice ouster shell sunday when i got the first egg. And i guess i wasn't specific enough, i check on them 3 times a day and they get freah water every morning. Its just a waiting game right now.

Edit: spoke to soon just checked the coop

Last edited:
17 weeks is very young, even in summer. The 22 % was more appropriate between hatch and 8 weeks. That's when they could have gone to 18% . Even 15% is sufficient as they mature.
IMHO, there's not a real need for medicated feed unless you don't have a lot of control of the environment.

I haven't been getting a lot of eggs this summer (blessing in a way). I think it's because a lot of cloudy/rainy days have slowed down the production. I also have a fox that has gotten several of my girls (older ones as well as chicks that can get out of the fence since I've kept them locked up for the past couple of weeks). Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll molt before school starts and I'll have eggs when I go back to work. Either that, or the few (Feb. hatch) chicks that I do have growing up, will start at that time.

Welcome to the thread blk2006, and horray to starting to get eggs.

CG

We got our leghorns ( 4of them) at the end of February. and 16 weeks to the day we got our 1st egg. and for the last week its been 3 to 4 white eggs a day. we have 15 total. 4 golden laced Wyndotts, 4 Barred rocks Got those Feb. 1st, 3 buff Orpingtons (had 4, 1 didn't make it) Feb 13th and the 4 leghorns. Feb. 27th. We have only been getting 1 to 3 brown eggs for about 2 weeks now. I am pretty sure its just the Barred rocks laying. Its the only ones I have caught on the nest

If we could ever find property around here that they don't want 5k an acre for, we plan on expanding to a much more diversified flock and use the PR's production to buy the feed for all the other avian persuasion pets. I've been going nuts and fighting the back to the basics mentality since our daughter was born in 2012. We want her to grow up in the country like we did where she can have her own imagination and learn the work ethic of chores, and how rewarding hard work is. I see to many kids her age being baby sit by a tablet or phone anymore.

Whow, where do you live that property is going for 5k an acre?

We have property for sale around us 164 acres for something like 290k asking price and not far from us a beautiful converted Amish farm house, modernized on 30 acres for 369k. There are out buildings and shops galore on it and it it sits off the road.

We're an hour north of kc in BFE where i35 and i36 meet, around here if you're buying less than 50 acres you're talkin 5k an acre and a rickity house were looking at a small 3bed 1bath 2 story on 5 acres and they want 66k, but im scared of an as is sale. If the agent would ever call me back

Back
Top Bottom