calling any one from missouri

OK, got it. I didn't really know anything about mycoplasma, so looked it up on other forums. And I learned that not only can it be transferred from bird to bird but ALSO transovarian (transmitted into eggs that are laid). Thus your caution about new chicks is indeed well founded. I am grateful I've been lucky with my tiny flock in spite of not knowing all this.
Anyway, good luck with your upcoming order.....let us know how it goes.

Thanks. I won't risk my Heritage Rhode Island Reds I worked so hard to get. I brought in some chicks from a breeder for blue eggs with my first flock and learned that quarantine involves you a bunch as well as the birds at the expense of my flock.
For those who don't know the AG guy for the state of Missouri said 80-90% of backyard flocks have MS or mg. Only 20% mortality rate, but they remain carriers for life. Most only seen respiratory systems. I wanted to breed and sell eggs so I had to start again. I also keep a viricon spray bottle to spray my shoes and any visitors shoes. I can't avoid the possibility from wild birds, but I have tried to limit my risk.

I don't know if anyone is interested but I have a pair of White Bantam Cochins, a pair of Silver Laced Bantam Cochins, a Silver Penciled Bantam Cochin cockerel, and 2 Ayam Cemani Cockerels pet quality. All are 14 weeks old. I live in mid MO in Camdenton.

:]

Hello all,
I was looking for people on a different Missouri thread and came across this one. Seems
to be very busy over here.
I live in Northern Missouri small town near Hannibal Mo. I have 39 chickens including 4 Copper Maran hens,
a couple Maran roosters, a variety of LF Cochin, and many laying hens. We also have 2 LaMancha dairy goats
waiting for them to kid in April which is always fun. I guess I should throw in the cat and Terrier house dog to
make sure all are accounted for.

I decided one of my goals this year is to find a quality organic feed/seed dealer as close to me as possible.
Because I am gluten free so are my animals. I have been mixing grains myself to get a good quality mix.
If anyone has suggestions of where I can buy organic grain in or around my area I would appreciate the information.
I haven't got to read all the back posts so I will be looking through those as well just in case.
thank you for any help you might be able to provide.

Hi, potagergirl....glad you found this thread....
I don't even know where to get organic feed or seed down here.
Good luck with your search and your chickens, goats, etc!

Hello fellow Missourians! I've been on BYC since October but just thought about joining a MO thread. I'm from southeast Missouri and have a growing flock with 20+ chickens at the moment. :)

Hello!

Nice to meet people who live in MO. That's why I love this particular thread. I feel like we're all family [we might actually be!lol].

How long have you owned chickens? What got you started? And do you sell chicks or eggs?

Hello!

Nice to meet people who live in MO. That's why I love this particular thread. I feel like we're all family [we might actually be!lol].

How long have you owned chickens? What got you started? And do you sell chicks or eggs?

We got our first chickens last March. My husband wanted them and so I went with it. Fast forward to now and I'm addicted to everything chicken.

We have a little bit of everything in our current flock. Leghorns, EEs, Barred Rocks, RIRs, Silkies, Seramas, d'Uccles, BCM, Buff Orps and mixes. They free range and are spoiled rotten. :)

I am not currently selling anything but plan to start selling hatching eggs soon! We have a new roo so I'm testing fertility and actually just hatched his first baby today with our Leghorn, Lucy! Lol

Hello RCChesire, do all your chickens free range, even the Silkies and Seramas? And do the different sizes all get along together? I have a RIR hen that goes broody a lot, and next time would like to get her some hatching eggs. I would like to use that opportunity add a bantam breed. I'll be looking at what is available locally.

Hello RCChesire, do all your chickens free range, even the Silkies and  Seramas?   And do the different sizes all get along together? I have a RIR hen that goes broody a lot, and next time would like to get her some hatching eggs. I would like to use that opportunity add a bantam breed.  I'll be looking at what is available locally.

I was very nervous about adding the bantams to the flock but here's what we did. We bought the silkies and seramas from the same lady. We kept them in the small run (that we usually use for chicks as they grow out of the house) for about two weeks and introduced them at feeding time one morning. We watched all day and it was pretty easy! Now, our big rooster does chase the serama roo around in the mornings if I don't feed them right away but every night they go back to roosting side by side. :)

Back
Top Bottom