calling on the experts on HUMDITY

chicks4fun

Songster
14 Years
May 11, 2009
Frederick County MD
Okay I am going nuts. One person says to "dry" hatch, another tells me to run at 75% the entire time. I am new to using an incubator. I currently have my eggs at 40% and I am 11 days in right now, eggs were set on July 8.
So what is it? I have gone through some old threads and I read that high humidity will drown a chick. Yet today I spoke with a lady that told me 40% will shrink wrap my babies and she uses 75% her entire time (she is a local breeder & says she is now successful since she raised it that high).
I know opinions will vary but how can there be so many differences and success at the various setting for humidity????
Anyone . . . . .

I'm new to incubating but have had some very good hatch rates with my homemade incubators. You will get lots of opinions because region, altitude, outside humidity and the type of incubator you use all play a part in hatching, not to mention porousness of eggs. You need to pick a camp on what humidity level seems right to you and keep records so you can adjust for future hatches. So here's what I have learned so far - The air sack needs to get larger and the egg needs to get heavier as it develops. Weighing the eggs, candling and marking the air sacks progress will help you know if things are going well. Shrink wrapping of chick happens when the humidity is too low in lock-down. Drowning happens when humidity is too high in first 18 days. I think most will agree 75% humidity for the whole hatch is too high. I now know what humidity level range works for my incubators but, the same numbers for you, may not be right. Good Luck and think of it as a learning experience.

Thanks. I guess it's a science & I have a BIG learning curve.
I have not been weighing the eggs. These are d'uccle eggs, not a larger breed. How can I find out what I should expect? Is there a % of gain that I should look for?

Many people will recommend using the air cell size chart. I have never seen this chart. I have never went by the chart either.

I recommend using

20-35% humidity the first 18 DAYS

The last 3 DAYS the humidity should be above 70%

This should only be used for chicken eggs in my experience. I haven't used this with other birds, but I have had GREAT success with this method.

I also recommend getting a spray bottle. I keep it handy for when the eggs start to pip, and when they do, I will start misting them. They will probably get misted about 5 times a day.

I agree with Quintinp on the humidity. However, I've never heard of eggs GAINING weight during incubation. They should LOSE 14%-17% of their weight during incubation. Weigh them often and you should have a very predictable weight loss. A little less than 1% per day. It's how I now determine the correct humidity in my incubator. Here is a site that will explain everything much better than I ever could. It is written by one of our BYC experts and these articles have been published worldwide. The author is pete55. The first link is to his page. The second link is his best article for hatching (I think).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/pete55s-page

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed

Don't be confused over the "goose" in the title. He has explained how the technique works for ALL eggs.

Many people here will discourage you from assisting problem chicks at hatch. Pete55 explains in the second link a perfect method for helping a struggling hatch. I have saved several chicks using this method and they are as healthy as any birds we have. I can't imagine not having the birds that I assisted! They are some of my best.

I agree with Quintinp on the humidity. However, I've never heard of eggs GAINING weight during incubation. They should LOSE 14%-17% of their weight during incubation. Weigh them often and you should have a very predictable weight loss. A little less than 1% per day. It's how I now determine the correct humidity in my incubator. Here is a site that will explain everything much better than I ever could. It is written by one of our BYC experts and these articles have been published worldwide. The author is pete55. The first link is to his page. The second link is his best article for hatching (I think).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/pete55s-page

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/491013/goose-incubation-hatching-guide-completed

Don't be confused over the "goose" in the title. He has explained how the technique works for ALL eggs.

Many people here will discourage you from assisting problem chicks at hatch. Pete55 explains in the second link a perfect method for helping a struggling hatch. I have saved several chicks using this method and they are as healthy as any birds we have. I can't imagine not having the birds that I assisted! They are some of my best.
hide.gif
I'm Sorry. Thank you for pointing out my mistake in my post... I knew that they loose weight during incubation but, they truly do 'feel' heavier to me as they develop.
hu.gif
I edited my post so I don't confuse others.

. . . . people here will discourage you from assisting problem chicks at hatch
. . . . . I can't imagine not having the birds that I assisted! They are some of my best.

Thanks, I will read the links you submitted in your post.

As for assisting I helped a little chick on my broody's hatch back in May. I think this little baby would have died as it seemed to be unable to make it out at the end. I slowly finished getting her out of her shell. I put her under her Mommy and she seemed fine.
The next morning I went out and found this poor little bird had fallen out of the nest (nest was inside an old cat litter box) and was ice cold. I picked it up, simply heartbroken as it worked so hard to come into this world the day before. As I held it's cold little body I noticed a slight breath--it's belly barely moved. I warmed it in my hands, put the little thing back under it's mother & it made it!
This bird is now two months old and we named her Lucky---I mean she nearly died twice in her first 24 hours, what a lucky bird to be with us still.

Back
Top Bottom