Can 1 person lay linoleum??

winniegirl

Songster
11 Years
Sep 15, 2008
Pennsylvania
DH is out of town and I need to get this done, because my chicks are crowded

Is it possible for me to lay this by myself? Do I need two people? Can I put the glue down and get the vinyl down before it drys all by myself?

The floor is only 8 x 6. Oh, and the coop is already done--yeah I should have thought to give the vinyl to the guys building the coop but I didn't! So now I also have to figure out how to cover the gaps between the studs--I guess I'll be screwing down some stips of 1" x 3" or something to keep the vinyl from peeling up
barnie.gif
I'll post a pix if it's helpful

Many, many thanks for any advice! Criticism is also welcome, cuz I'm used to that too (I have 3 kids!
lol.png
)

Dawn

you mean linoleum or vinyl??

vinyl is easy on your own and doesn't need gluing either...unless you guys use different terminology for these things on the other side of the pond.

if your talking about something like this:
Vinyl.jpg

cut it to size and run some 1x3 around the coop like a skirting board to hold it down. done.

if you can see the studs from the inside i'd do the same thing with the 1x3 but only between the studs.

Last edited:
Oh yes, it's actually vinyl in a large sheet like your picture, thank you!

I was worried that I wouldn't be able to lay the sheet before the
glue dried. It looks easy enough, just haven't done it before . And the label says I can cut it with scissors!!

i'd forget the glue if i was you. you'll find no shortage of people or websites telling you that you need to glue it. you don't. but if you want to, cut it to size, then slap the glue down and lay the vinyl.

if you want to get the glue down fast then use a floor squeegee as a spreader:
1011092400.jpg

We have a floating vinyl floor in our kitchen, I don't see why it wouldn't work in a coop. Ours is held down with industrial strength double stick tape only at the entrances.
Home Depot sells the tape.

You can do it yourself, very easily.

I glued with liquid nails in a caulk gun and no nails or 1x3. Layed it out-cut to size- folded half back onto itself ran the
glue in lines layed that half down walked over it good. folded other half back did it again and no issues for 2 yrs.

WOW!! I had no idea I could use staples or tape or no glue at all.
DH says glue is necessary, that glue gun is easy enough. NO way I could smear it with a trowel and get the piece in by myself

Thank you all so much--OK, tomorrow is the day.

Once again, I am sooo HAPPY I joined up here! I always get
an answer from the pros. If you lived near me, I'd bake each of
you a cake--chocolate of course.
yippiechickie.gif

I layed the vinyl for my coop yesterday all by my lonesome it was 8'x12'. I used glue on mine even though the walls will hold it in place once they are mounted. I picked up a tub of glue from home depot (it was in the same isle as all the tube calking) for under $4.00 and it was the perfect amount of glue. I used a 10" scraper to spread it and it came out great. Good luck with your project!

Back
Top Bottom