My new coop - from a mower shed

Two days ago, the new coop was move in ready (with more ventilation added). At 9:15 pm I went out to move the chicks from their brooder coop to the new coop. Which went fine. They are used to being moved from small brooders to bigger and bigger brooders, then to the small coop so they let me pick them up and move them.

The next night went out at the same time and the chicks were in the old coop again. Moved them again.

TONIGHT I went out, and no chicks in the old coop. I tiptoed around and cracked one of the big doors. And there were 4 chicks spread out on the roost just like big hens. Yay. I was SO proud. They had never used a roost before but they figured it out by themselves..

Looked for the 5th chick (afraid she might have been locked out when the door went down) But no, she was snuggled down in the shavings like she had been every night since she was 2 days old. I'm betting she'll be up on the roost very soon.

Success, with the automatic door, means no locking them in at 10 pm and getting up 5 am to let them out. I'll check again for the next few nights just to make sure they're making it in before the door shuts, but looks like it went better than I even expected.
Very impressive and clever. I've read so many posts of people wringing their hands over coops and cost etc. You cut through all that and got it done and @ 75yo toboot!! Way to stay active and independent 👍👍👍 your an inspiration! Bravo! 👏👏👏

Back
Top Bottom