can a chick get corriodosis if on medicated feed?

calichick123

In the Brooder
Jan 2, 2016
I've debating about whether to spend $20 on the corid for a chick that I'm not even sure if that's what they need. She's only had medicated feed.

Medicated feed has a low dose of Amprolium in it, which is also the active ingredient in Corid. Corid simply is higher concentration. So, to answer your question medicated feed does not guarantee complete immunity from coccidiosis. What symptoms is your chick showing?

Very lethargic, yellow/watery poop. She seemed better yesterday, but has taken another bad turn today. All the other 7 chicks are fine. They are all 5 weeks old

So, to answer your question medicated feed does not guarantee complete immunity from coccidiosis.

In reality there is no such thing as complete immunity to cocci, for all practical purposes all chickens exposed to the outdoors, indoor environments were other birds have been recently, exposed to cross contamination and/or exposure to other birds will have cocci to some degree, it's basically everywhere in the environment and for simplicity it's safe to assume all birds have it to some degree...

The purpose of medicated feed is to not allow the cocci to overwhelm the chicks limited and new immune system, it's not supposed to eliminate cocci, it just keeps cocci levels in check and at lower numbers until the chickens own immunity system can take over and keep the cocci in check by itself...

If that immune system is still failing to keep up on medicated feed a higher dosage of Amprolium will lower the cocci even further and hopefully allow the birds own immune system to build up a tolerance and for health to improve...

Even if on medicated feed, if the chick has a weakened immunity system or experiences high cocci exposure rates they can fall ill to cocci...

Last edited:
I absolutely agree with above post. there are different strains of cocci. All it takes is a overload of a foreign strain to contract it!

Last edited:
I started her on corid yesterday. She is still alive, but not any change except now her poop is dark green. Would she be doing a lot better if it was coccidiosis?

I started her on corid yesterday. She is still alive, but not any change except now her poop is dark green. Would she be doing a lot better if it was coccidiosis?

Corid will almost immediately show results in the digestive track (and the poop) but you should have ALL your chicks on the treatment dossage.

Back
Top Bottom