Medicated or non-medicated feed

Chicky10

In the Brooder
Jun 4, 2022
We just got two baby chicks, they were vaccinated against Marek's disease. Started them on non-medicated feed. Day 8 today, one is doing well. The other one was well till two days ago, now she is less active, drooping wings, keeps chirping, does not gain weight. She does eat and poop, although only pecks on the small pieces of feed, and spits out bigger pellets. The poop looks normal.

Could it be coccidiosis? Should we switch to medicated feed? Or give Corid? How much Corid to give them? Anything else we can try?

They are in a brooder under heat lamp, about 90 degrees but they can move the cooler side if needed. She is under the heater. She keeps chirping and tries to squeeze under her friend's belly.

Thanks for your advice

Coccidiosis' main symptom would be bloody poop. Nothing described indicates coccidiosis.

You mentioned the chick is "picking out pellets". Chicks should be eating crumbles. What kind of feed are these chicks eating?

Coccidiosis' main symptom would be bloody poop.
Not true.. only one or two of the 9-11 strains of coccidia known to effect poultry may present as blood in dropping.

Could it be coccidiosis? Should we switch to medicated feed? Or give Corid? How much Corid to give them? Anything else we can try?
Medicated feed is low dose and chicks may still get coccidiosis and need treating with Corid.. I wouldn't switch feeds personally.

8 days is possible but unlikely with such a small group in my experience. Still the symptoms you describe are VERY close.. the only one not lining up is still eating and drinking.. BUT you may be catching early symptoms (or the chick may be faking eating to fit in).. I MIGHT start treatment with Corid, better safe than sorry. Do you already have it on hand? Dosage information in following link..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing.818879/

I would consider crushing the feed a little extra.. or wetting some and making it into a mash! (use the Corid water if treating with it).

Can you post video of the constant peeping to see if it's stressed peeping or just keeping in contact/chatting?

What breeds are they and where did they come from? (maybe not relevant, but sometimes useful information.)

:fl

ETA: Even birds/chicks that are actively pooping blood, may not be every time.. as I've personally witnessed normal AND bloody droppings from the same individual.

Not true.. only one or two of the 9-11 strains of coccidia known to effect poultry may present as blood in dropping.

Medicated feed is low dose and chicks may still get coccidiosis and need treating with Corid.. I wouldn't switch feeds personally.

8 days is possible but unlikely with such a small group in my experience. Still the symptoms you describe are VERY close.. the only one not lining up is still eating and drinking.. BUT you may be catching early symptoms (or the chick may be faking eating to fit in).. I MIGHT start treatment with Corid, better safe than sorry. Do you already have it on hand? Dosage information in following link..

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/updated-corid-and-amprol-amprolium-dosing.818879/

I would consider crushing the feed a little extra.. or wetting some and making it into a mash! (use the Corid water if treating with it).

Can you post video of the constant peeping to see if it's stressed peeping or just keeping in contact/chatting?

What breeds are they and where did they come from? (maybe not relevant, but sometimes useful information.)

:fl

ETA: Even birds/chicks that are actively pooping blood, may not be every time.. as I've personally witnessed normal AND bloody droppings from the same individual.
Thanks very much. Yes we have Corid, just added Corid to their water and wet the feed. She took some, hope that helps. I will post a video of her constant peeping, if that is just chatting, she is a chatty one thenw because it keeps going:)

She is a Golden Laced Wyandotte, we got her and a Barred Plymouth Rock from a farm nearby, I believe the farm ordered them, not sure where though

The chick keeps chirping.
Does it sound stressful? Or is it just chatting?

It is not badly distressed (that would be unmistakable and very loud).
But it doesn't sound like the most common kind of chatting that healthy chicks do, either.

Just listening to the sound, I might think the chick was talking about something new and a bit worrying (What's that? Do I need to be afraid of it? Or not?) But if the one making the sound is the one sitting still, the body language is all wrong for that interpretation.

So I'm not quite sure how to interpret that sound.

Chick could be cold. I've got a runty one that whined constantly from the cold (and everything else) when the other chicks were perfectly happy. Try lowering the heat lamp a tiny bit. Does it stop the noise when you pick it up and cup your warm hands over it?

Chick could be cold. I've got a runty one that whined constantly from the cold (and everything else) when the other chicks were perfectly happy. Try lowering the heat lamp a tiny bit. Does it stop the noise when you pick it up and cup your warm hands over it?
Thanks! Looks like she was cold. She was happy when picked up, loves sitting in warm hands

Back
Top Bottom