Should I switch to Non Medicated food?

I was faced with the same dilemma as you. First time chicken tender, I did a lot of research. I came to the conclusion that if you brood indoors for 6-7 weeks, their immune system is developed enough to send them outside.
I see several people did not read what I posted above. I know it is long and probably boring to read. I'm not going to retype all of that. If you want to know how I justify what I'm going to say you can read it.

If the chicks are exposed to the bug that causes Coccidiosis for two or three weeks they develop an immunity to that strain rf Coccidiosis. If they are not exposed to that bug they do not develop immunity. If they do not get exposed to that bug they do not develop immunity no matter how much medicated feed you feed them. If you raise them in a sterile environment and never let them develop the immunity they need their immune system is not strengthened against Coccidiosis.

There is no substitute for a clean, and dry environment when brooding also. If you brood outside, then I would recommend medicated feed. If you feed medicated feed, be sure and have them weaned from it before their first eggs. I've read that the medication will be in the eggs and shouldn't be eaten. Keep corrid on hand.
I copied this from a veterinarian website. There is no need to gradually withdraw Amprolium. You can eat the eggs from hens fed Amprolium.

Amprolium is a common anticoccidial medication used in the treatment and prevention of coccidiosis in chickens and turkeys. In the United States, it is one of the few medications approved by the FDA for use in egg laying hens. There is no withdrawal period.

See more at: https://www.poultrydvm.com/drugs/amprolium

I was faced with the same dilemma as you. First time chicken tender, I did a lot of research. I came to the conclusion that if you brood indoors for 6-7 weeks, their immune system is developed enough to send them outside. There is no substitute for a clean, and dry environment when brooding also. If you brood outside, then I would recommend medicated feed. If you feed medicated feed, be sure and have them weaned from it before their first eggs. I've read that the medication will be in the eggs and shouldn't be eaten. Keep corrid on hand.
It doesn't work that way. Brooding indoors in a clean environment will not develop their immune system in such a way that they can't get an overload of coccidiosis - the only time I had to treat for coccidiosis was with a chick that was fully brooded indoors and moved out at around 5 weeks of age.

All my subsequent chicks have been brooded outdoors directly on the same run floor that the adults have pooped on and scratched around. I do not clean the brooder litter at all. Even without medicated feed we have had no issue with coccidiosis with this method of brooding. I do keep Corid on hand just in case, but it has not been needed.

To replicate some of that "outdoor exposure" effect you can introduce scoops of dirt and plant material directly from your run location in the brooder for the chicks to play with and eat. Earlier the better IMO.

If the "medicated" in medicated feed is amprolium, there is no egg withdrawal time.

It doesn't work that way. Brooding indoors in a clean environment will not develop their immune system in such a way that they can't get an overload of coccidiosis - the only time I had to treat for coccidiosis was with a chick that was fully brooded indoors and moved out at around 5 weeks of age.
💯 too clean, is also a problem. The only way a chick can develop defensive bacteria is by the Protozoa entering the system. As you have said, when the bacteria become overwhelmed is when the chick becomes sick.

I read about a woman who would start introducing clumps of grass into the brooder at 2 weeks. I have been meaning to try this, but thought it sounded like a good idea to moderately begin bringing the Protoza into the brooder, in a controlled environment.

Back
Top Bottom