Can a chicken be a good companion for a duck?

Rastaducks

In the Brooder
Jul 5, 2022
Some raccoons got in our coop and we lost three of our four ducks and a chicken. We are all traumatized but we still have one chicken and one duck. The duck is very upset and quacking a lot when I leave her. She also follows the chicken around. Do you think she needs another duck companion or can the chicken be enough for her?

So sorry for your loss. :hugs

While it might be okay short term, it's not ideal in the long run. Ducks like doing duck things and chickens like to do chicken things. Chickens aren't very fond of swimming and ducks aren't going to like sandbathing (unless they mix the sand with water to make a mud bath, which will make the chicken mad). I'd get more chickens and ducks.

First want to say I’m sorry for your losses
May help for a little bit but ducks like to play follow the leader and need a partner in crime at all times
Unfortunately chickens don’t go swim in pools or ponds
I would find another duck friend if possible
Thank you. Today has been tough. If you know anyone in Colorado that has ducks let me know :)

So sorry for your loss. :hugs

While it might be okay short term, it's not ideal in the long run. Ducks like doing duck things and chickens like to do chicken things. Chickens aren't very fond of swimming and ducks aren't going to like sandbathing (unless they mix the sand with water to make a mud bath, which will make the chicken mad). I'd get more chickens and ducks.
Thank you. I will be on the lookout.

Back
Top Bottom